Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Cavalier power window switch question

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2020 | 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cavalier power window switch question

My '05 cavalier 4-dr has a cluster of window switches in the center console. The driver's window has occasionally refused to work--particularly when really cold outside--but now it doesn't work at all. I pulled the switch unit out of the console, thinking I'd just swap that window's connector with one of the back ones I never use--thinking the driver's switch may be bad...and only found two connectors! Before I start pulling the unit apart, could someone offer some clarification of how four windows operate off of just two multi-plugs? (all the other windows work fine) Thanks!
Old February 15th, 2020 | 5:10 PM
Super Moderator

I would check for power in to and out of the switch..if ok...check for power at the window motor. if no good...check for broken wires in the door A-pillar,
Old February 16th, 2020 | 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

The switch is sending power to the motor, but the motor is stuck or the regulator is jammed somehow. Looks like I need a new door unit. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by Bowtie Bill; February 17th, 2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old March 1st, 2020 | 5:17 PM
CF Active Member

It's not the switch, the motor is kaputt. Common problem on Cavs. There's YT vids out there if you want to do it yourself. I've replaced two on mine myself, getting rather good at it....
Old March 2nd, 2020 | 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help. I can see the driver's window regulator has already been replaced in the past, and when it does work, it operates fine. Yesterday the window had again randomly stopped working. I took the switch assembly out, sprayed it full of contact cleaner and when back in place, the driver's window worked, but the right rear would go down, but not up! I discovered new ones are available for $14.00 on eBay, kicked myself for wasting time cleaning it and ordered a new one. MAYBE that'll do it. Or, it'll be motor & regulator time, as you thought.