Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

cavalier running rough

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2007, 6:51 AM
Jro
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cavalier running rough

Hello everyone. I own a 96 Chevy cavalier Z24 2.4 Automatic transmission. I have been having some problems with it.
First it used to turn off after i would go over 50mph. so i thought it was the fuel filter, i replaced it, it still did not work. so i replaced the fuel pump, still a no go. i removed the crankshaft position sensor and cleaned it off and put it back in, (i am currently station overseas so i have to wait a week or so for the new one). and ran fine for a while. now it runs really rough, the exhaust smells like gas, it feels like it's not getting enough power, it shifts hard, so i replaced the spark plugs, sparg plug wires, changed the oil, and air filter. I have tested the EGR valve and it is good, i've cleaned the EGR valve out and it still a no go. i have also ordered two new igniton coils. does anyone have any ideas that they can offer. thank you.
Old October 14th, 2007, 2:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cavalier running rough

do you have any codes (engine light on)? if you smell gas it's running too rich or possibly a vacuum leak. the O2 sensor controls how much gas. have it scanned for codes at autozone or advance auto. it is possible to havea bad O2 sensors with no engine light. i don't know much about cavalier but my wife has one. you sound like you're running rich which would affect your power. i don't know what other sensors are on a cavalier but i DO know that every car has an 02 sensor and is most likely the culprit! did you buy this car new or used? how long since changing any sensors? Just some thing to consider. does sound like some kind of sensor though. I'm not a pro though so don't go out and buy a new 02 sensor and expect it to fix the problem. Just some ideas for you to consider.