Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

clutch pedal question

Old October 22nd, 2016, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal question

2001 Cavalier 5 speed manual 2.2

Over the last 4-6 weeks, my clutch pedal engagement point has gone from where it always has been slowly down to the last inch so that the pedal has no resistance for the first 90% down. I am getting worried that soon, there won't be any way to get it into or out of gear if it drops any lower. At first, i figured the fluid had moisture in it and the system needed to just be bled. but i have nobody to help me so while doing research on how to bleed it by yourself, I found several indications that the symptom I described is more likely an internally leaking master cylinder. So that leaves me with a bunch of questions. First , more information. I had the entire clutch kit and everything that goes with it (which includes the slave cylinder) replaced for over $1000 just last year. Other than at that time, the fluid would never have been changed. I don't know if they changed the fluid at that time, but i figure they have to when they were done. So if that is the case, it wouldn't be old fluid as i first thought. Second - there are absolutely no external leaks anywhere. The outside of everywhere - the top of the inside near the clutch pedal, the area all around and under the reservoir and both the master and slave bleeder are bone dry and clean. And there is no loss or drop of fluid in the reservoir. So my questions are: Given all those parameters, is an internally leaking master cylinder the most likely problem? I have been told that the slave - at least on this car - cannot leak internally, only externally. I hope that is true. Is it? And from what I can tell a new master costs around $100 and probably around $300 after labor is added at most shops. Sound right? But i would really like to try and do it myself. Anyone done it and can give me some instructions? the thing I am most worried about is the same thing that i started with - bleeding the system by myself.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be so appreciated.

Thanks.
Old October 30th, 2016, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my suggestion would be to return to the shop that did the work last year, have them check it out.
from what i have read of your problem i believe it is an internally leaking clutch master cylinder but without hands on i cannot be 100%. there is also the chance the master cylinder is under warranty and you would only face a labor charge.

BTW, bleeding is a 2 man job.

Good luck

Search this Thread