Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Coolant Pipe leaking 2001 Cavalier

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2012 | 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Coolant Pipe leaking 2001 Cavalier

2001 Cavalier 2.2L coolant pipe is leaking at the "Y" on the heater hose side of the Y. Couple of things. Can I braze this bronze rod/acetylene torch, or should I replace the pipe? What kind of a job is it to replace this pipe? Looks like I would have to remove the motor mount on passenger side to get at it. IF so how do I suspend it since I don't have an engine crane? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Pipe not too bad, but I can see some spots of heavy surface rust which may be close to leaking as well.
Old September 3rd, 2012 | 1:32 PM
CF Monarch

I'm sure you could braze it, however I'd remove it from the car.
Old September 3rd, 2012 | 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Have you ever removed one of these pipes? Any suggestions as to steps, or where to start? Big question is do I need to remove the upper motor mount on the passenger side, and if so, since I do not have a motor crane, any suggestions on supporting the motor? Also any suggestions as to where I could find an excerpt from a shop manual as to the process, and torque specs..... Really appreciate any help you might be able to provide. Thanks
Old September 3rd, 2012 | 5:41 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by ollie2009
Have you ever removed one of these pipes? Any suggestions as to steps, or where to start? Big question is do I need to remove the upper motor mount on the passenger side, and if so, since I do not have a motor crane, any suggestions on supporting the motor? Also any suggestions as to where I could find an excerpt from a shop manual as to the process, and torque specs..... Really appreciate any help you might be able to provide. Thanks
Don't know, if you have to pull a motor mount get a jack. I'd strongley suggest not trying to braze it in the engine for several reasons.
Old September 8th, 2012 | 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Well, here's the update. I ended up changing the coolant pipe. When I took it off, the other rust it made me unsure as to when it would break through somewhere else, and since I am giving it to my daughter for a while, and she lives an hour away, I didn't want to take a chance on it leaking on her. Biggest issue I had was finding torque specs for the motor mounts, etc. Friend of mine had a factory shop manual for a 2000 cavalier so I used those specs. THe other thing that he told me was the importance of using the bleed valve on the bleed pipe. Filled the resevoir, then opened up the bleeder until got all the air out. Then started the car and ran until the thermostat opened. Shut it down and then opened the bleeder again to get rid of any other air, and all seems well right now. Will see later today when I take it for an extended run and see how it reacts. Thanks for the advice.