Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

a few 2003 problems

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2006, 12:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few 2003 problems

Ok, so I just bought a 2003 Cavalier Ls and have a few questions about some problems, I dont know very much about cars my dad was a mechanic and always did everything for me.. the speedometer doesnt work, it just goes back and forth between 50 and 110. also the drivers side window doesnt roll down. Before I take it somewhere to have it looked at I kind of wanted to make sure these arent minor problems I could have my neighbor fix easily. Thanks!
Old July 21st, 2006, 2:47 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: a few 2003 problems

sounds like a few elctrical problems
has the car been missed with any like after market gauges
or stereo or anything

does the speedometer go to zero when u turn the car off
Old July 23rd, 2006, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

It used to have XM radio but other than that I dont think the previous owner had anything else done reguarding gauges. The speedometer doesnt go to 0 when the car is off, it stays where it was. but all the other gauges go to 0...
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

To fix the gauges, you need to remove the dash, the panel that covers the stereo and the gauges and finally the gauge assembly. Make sure that the vehicle is off or you could cause problems with it. Next, you need to remove the front cover of the gauges by pushing on the tabs and gently pulling it off. You will be able to touch the needles. Gently push the speedometer needle to the 0 mark. If you encounter resistance, then the needle was previously removed. You could attempt to remove it and reattach it properly, but you risk damaging the motor for it. Once you get everything in place, plug the cable back into the gauges. You should hear all of the motors move and the gauges will be at their lowest reading. If everything seems right, you are ready to test drive. As for the windows, I am not really experienced with power ones, so I can;t help. I hope this helps.

Happoshaun