Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Fuel Pump Going Out?

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2012, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Going Out?

I recently started having problems with my 99 (2.2 L engine) not wanting to start. It would act like it was turning over, then as I released the key, it would die. So I started turning the key to ACC position and waiting til the fuel pump stopped buzzing. Then it starts with no problem. Is this a sign the pump is going bad on me? Engine was just tuned up...new plugs and wires. Thanks!
Old March 23rd, 2012, 7:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The fuel pump will prime with key in RUN. Does it not? If your fuel pump runs with key in ACC, there's something else going on.
Old March 24th, 2012, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I meant the ON position (two clicks.) If I turn it all the way to START, it tries to start, dies, and then I hear it priming. So far, letting it prime in the ON position is working.
Old March 24th, 2012, 7:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There isn't always a cut-and-dried solution. A weak fuel pump (or one that's not supplied sufficient power), not to mention a restricted fuel filter, will usually cause extended cranking. It won't cause the engine to start and then stall as soon as the key is released (if that's the symptom). The latter is usually caused by the ignition switch or Passlock lock cylinder.