Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

got some questions

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2009, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got some questions

alright, well i have some questions for you folks. im a dodge ram guy and usually am hanging out over in the dodgeforum website. well my wife and i recently got a '04 chevy cavalier with the 2.2L ecotec. i'm pretty big into upgrading my ram, and was curious what is the best upgrades performance wise for the cavalier. i was thinking chips, exhaust, intake(the usual stuff). any suggestions? i appreciated it! thanks!
Old May 10th, 2009, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

anybody out there? lol
Old May 10th, 2009, 2:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

We definately are not as active as the DF, so it may take a day or so to get going on some answers.
The bottom line is the fact that the Cavalier is a slug. Intake and Exhaust will help somewhat. You could get the PCM programmed with a chip or programmer.
Its really hard to get a lot of extra power out of that engine without a supercharger.
Old May 10th, 2009, 3:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Depending on money, there are alot of different things you can do, I would start at the PCM, Exhaust, Intake, injectors, rail, once you have some of the bolt ons taken care of toss a turbo at it, I used to have a older Cavalier with a 2.4 with a Turbo and ran high 12's to mid 13'g depending on the contoller settings Just a thought
Old May 10th, 2009, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

thank you for replying lol. i was just curious what there was to do. what about cams? i see alot of cams for this kind of engine. even if it is something small, i like to tool around with what i have and make it look/sound/perform nice
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

I disagree that cavaliers are slugs. I have on 04 cavalier coupe with the 2.2 ecotec and 5 speed the only thing i have done to it is install a weapon-r intake kit which supposedly gains up to 16 hp. but my cavalier is very quick. i would defiantly upgrade the intake exhaust and eventuly turbo it or supercharge it i would also recommend removing the governer. if you figure out how i would apriciat it if you could say how.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for your wife though? come on man just let her drive it, its a cavaleir not a camaro! A 2.2litre? I think i have that in my pushmower! LOL
Old May 12th, 2009, 3:34 AM
CF Beginner

i agree...but i do this kind of thing as a hobby...so pretty much anything around me that has an engine and wheels, i try to make perform better ya know? anyway, what are you talking about a rail? fuel rail? what about a cam? i mean, all the basic stuff is common sense(i.e. intake, exhaust, pcm) but what about the vehicle/engine itself. i'm gonna assume theres not a whole lot to do to it without putting a turbo in it. lol