Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Help! Need clips for Shift Boot

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2015, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Need clips for Shift Boot

I have a 2001 cavalier with a manual transmission, and the shift boot just hangs there and isnt connected to the console. Im sure that where the boot attached to the center console there are probably some sort of clips to hold it in place, and to keep it from falling into the opening.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and what did you use to secure the boot?

Thanks
Old May 16th, 2015, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default Shifter boot

HokieCJ7

The manual shifter boot has an oval plastic ring with molded in clips that attach to the console opening. The vinyl is contact glued to the plastic oval which is prone to cracking and breaking. I have included a link to an illustration.
I bought one NOS from the dealer two years ago but you may need to check the junk yards. To remove the piece, squeeze gently on either side of the boot base and lift either the front or rear to unclip the hooked edge. There are about 6 molded in hooks that have to release to free the shifter base. The vinyl boot can be teased off if it is unusable. Good luck.
Old May 19th, 2015, 4:35 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like there is not an easy way to reattach the piece once the plastic clips wear off...
Old May 24th, 2015, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

In my case, I glued a new boot onto a new base. If more than one of the molded in plastic clips has cracked or broken off the base, it becomes loose and floppy. It might be possible to fabricate and then epoxy on an aluminium replacement for the broken off clips although I haven't tried. Something to keep in mind is that the OEM, GM made shifter and brake boots are perfect fits but they are a low end vinyl and old. My "new" boots are cracking at flex points only 2 years after replacement and I will have to replace them again soon with either leather or better quality vinyl. Good luck with replacements.