Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

I need some help on starting issue - 2002 Cavalier

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2013, 6:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help on starting issue - 2002 Cavalier

2002 Cavalier 2.2

I just bought this car and replaced the fuel pump so it would start. Fuel filter as well. It will start and runs good but lately after changing the pump, it takes about 12 seconds of cranking before it will start. It does start every time but it just takes along time. I read that these cars do not have the check valve in the tank is that true. Let me add that once it starts and driven around, it does start right back up. If it sits over night or for even an hour it is long cranking again but still starts.

What do I need to check to get past this problem?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: I just read the codes from the car and the one that could be related is P0452. People have suggested it be the fuel pressure sensor. Could that be my issue with starting? I also read the code P0130

Last edited by hobhancock; January 2nd, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:22 AM
Former Sponsor

OBD2 - OBDII Code P0130 CHEVROLET - HO2S circuit sensor 1 | Engine-Codes.com

OBD2 - OBDII Code P0452 CHEVROLET - Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage | Engine-Codes.com

I think that the fuel pressure sensor is throwing you car off at startup by not telling the computer how much fuel is being sent. I would start with having that replaced because that is the common issue between both codes
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Try spraying some starter fluid down the throttle body. If it starts right away then the check valve is bad. I don't know about the cavalier but my Silverado has it in the pump assembly. My check valve went bad and I added one in the fuel line near the tank and no more problems. Starts right away.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks guys. I thought I read somewhere that the cavaliers did not have the check valve in the fuel assembly. I have not confirmed that since I dont know what I am looking for.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 3:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by go-part
OBD2 - OBDII Code P0130 CHEVROLET - HO2S circuit sensor 1 | Engine-Codes.com

OBD2 - OBDII Code P0452 CHEVROLET - Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage | Engine-Codes.com

I think that the fuel pressure sensor is throwing you car off at startup by not telling the computer how much fuel is being sent. I would start with having that replaced because that is the common issue between both codes
X2. That would explain the intermittent time issues when it will start ect.