Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Many problems with my 93 cavalier. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2011, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many problems with my 93 cavalier. Help please.

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I don't have any pictures of my cars, but My 1993 is a soft top with a custom paint job. It was red, and now is black with a white top. De badged, Purple black and white interior, and it has meowth in the back just hanging out.

Alright, so I have a couple problems with my car, and was hoping you guys could help me out.

Problem 1. My top seems to have no power. I just went home, put the top up, went to bed, woke up, got in the car... No top... Sad day.

Problem 2. The door locks only lock manually. The power locks only work when it's in gear. Sometimes.

Problem 3. I have no heat. Right now, it is winter... I only weigh 106lbs... I get cold easily. I changed the thermostat, and nothing. My next step is to check the heating core. Any other ideas?

Problem 4. My car is now sucking gas like a fiend. I changed the spark plugs, oil, air filter, and added dry gas. Nothing helped. I understand that that could be many things.

The top makes me very sad, and will be very happy if anyone could give me a diagram or help in any way with that or any of the other problems.

Thanks in advance,
Leenie.
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM
CF Junior Member

well sounds like your working with a wasps nest. lol personally ive never had a convertible because it sacrifices handling and they mess up i like super simple. if it doesnt have power check your switch an the motor itself and if those are good check wiring.with your heat not working. if the car is warming up it should work unless you have a leak at water pump radiato head intake any where it can leak can cause no heat. your heater core is fine unless its leaking. if it is leaking you will know it . will be leaking on the floor or smoking throught the vents. it could be clogged as well to check warm the car up turn heat on and feel both heater core lines they should both be hot if ones hot it meanss fluid is going in but not flowing out either leaking or clogged. if they are both hot and theres no leaks anywhere and its getting up to temp is probably the temp selector switc but thats not as likely. your fuel mileage is probably tied into the heat. make sure to check your oil make sure there is no coolant in it. report back on what you find ill help as much as i can
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:20 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you very much for the advise. I'll be checking all of that when it gets a little warmer.