Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

new brakes

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2007, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new brakes

besides the noise i'm already having in the suspension now i've also got horrible brake noise! i did the brakes front and rear. had the rear drums resurfaced at pepboys, put pro stop premium shoes on. never had a problem with the pep boys brand! now since the drums were resurface i have horrible whining noise when i put the brakes on. it starts as high pitch and the slower you get the lower the pitch goes until nothing at all when you've completely stopped. it also sounds like grinding now but they are brand new brakes and i know they're not grinding. Kind of makes me mad! they didn't do that before i had them resurfaced. I thought resurfacing them would be good to do after 5 years and my wife is hard on her brakes. is this whining and grinding because of resurfacing them?

also did the fronts but because of the noise i'm getting in the rear i thought i'll just buy new rotors instead of resurfacing them. they were only $15 a piece at pepboys so i put them and the premium pro stop pads on the front. They also sound very rough through the car when coming to a stop. the rotors themselves when i first took them out of the box were very scuffed up and not smooth like a rotor that was just resurfaced. but the scratches had a pattern to it obviously done by whoever machined the rotors for pep boys. I asked them and they said they're supposed to be like that. they never said why exactly but I thought maybe it's to help keep the rotor abrasive and prevent glazing from new pads or whatever! Niether set of brakes squeel but now both the front and rear are very grindy sounding and i'm not happy about it!

I don't have many miles on the new brakes and rotors and drums. will they wear in eventually and be smooth or will i be stuck with this forever? i'm half tempted to take the factory rotors i took off and get them resurfaced and take those $15 ones off and put the factory's back on. I could still use the pads, they're new yet right? As for the backs, well, i'm not sure, guess i'd have to buy new ones but stick with a brand name and pay more. the car stops ok, not as grabby as i'd like it to be but my wife says it's always stopped this way. I flushed the brake fluid recently and replace with new fluid, it was cruddy dirty. any advice on this rotor and drum situation would be helpful. thanks