Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

New wheel bearing new noise.

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2011, 6:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheel bearing new noise.

I have a 2002 Cavalier with an auto and 2.2. I replaced the left front wheel bearing last weekend due to the OEM bearing making some nice whining noises. Now when I turn the wheel to the right anytime over about 10MPH I have a loud medium pitch humming noise. The noise only happens when turning to the right, any other time it sounds fine. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks

Old April 19th, 2011, 7:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know what is causing this, but here is what happened to me.
Right front wheel bearing was making noise in curves, I ordered two, my 2003 has 173k miles on it after all. I replaced the right one and noticed tho old bearing wasn't too bad. Then I replaced the left front bearing and ... it was bad!
Old April 28th, 2011, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2000 model and had a humming noise while driving. It ended having to replace my transmisison. Now I hear a grinding noise on the right side when turning left. I've already replaced the bearing twice and gotten a wheel alighment. There has been no changes in the sounds. Any idea's???
Old May 4th, 2011, 2:16 AM
CF Beginner

Jaylynn,
I've had the same issues with my car! I just took it in for a rotation a few weeks ago and am hearing the same noise just on the left side instead of the right. They've said the bearing is fine, but I'm not convinced.

Have you checked your tie rods?
Old May 17th, 2011, 3:19 AM
CF Beginner

I would wonder if a CV axle is starting to go bad. You can test those really easily. Go to a large empty section of a flat parking lot, roll down front windows all the way & turn off all a/c, radio or any other noise making accessory. While stopped, turn the wheel completely all the way to 1 side, then let off the brake & let the car idle through a complete circle, listening for any clunking or grinding sounds or if it seems like it is going over bumps when your not, do the same test turned all the way in the other direction. Replace any CV axle that may be bad. Not hard to do & each axle is less than $100 for most any vehicle. It could also be an issue with the differential, which is in the middle of both axles in the tranny, but it is not as expensive or hard to replace as it seems. Good luck!