Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Oil

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2017, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

My 2005 Chevy cavalier is leaking oil onto transmission coming from under oil filter housing. Would this be from the oil sending unit?
Old November 9th, 2017, 7:51 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve111
My 2005 Chevy cavalier is leaking oil onto transmission coming from under oil filter housing. Would this be from the oil sending unit?
Do you have the 2.2 liter Ecotech motor? It has a built in oil filter placement on the motor and you only change the oil filter cartridge and the oil seal on the 32mm wrench plastic cap. Might be the seal is bad or the filter cap was mis-threaded and/or needs replacement, Best way to tell is place some cardboard under the engine to see where the leak is coming from as soon as you are done driving while the oil is hot and has some pressure. Oil sending units rarely leak,IME, they just go bad sometimes.
Old November 9th, 2017, 8:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post some pics
Old November 9th, 2017, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Do you have the 2.2 liter Ecotech motor? It has a built in oil filter placement on the motor and you only change the oil filter cartridge and the oil seal on the 32mm wrench plastic cap. Might be the seal is bad or the filter cap was mis-threaded and/or needs replacement, Best way to tell is place some cardboard under the engine to see where the leak is coming from as soon as you are done driving while the oil is hot and has some pressure. Oil sending units rarely leak,IME, they just go bad sometimes.
Yes I have the engine above. I realize the filter that it has and it is not leaking from the filter housing. Oil is coming from the engine under the oil filter housing and colleting on top of the transmission.
Old November 9th, 2017, 5:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve111
Yes I have the engine above. I realize the filter that it has and it is not leaking from the filter housing. Oil is coming from the engine under the oil filter housing and colleting on top of the transmission.
Well, i'd clean the area that its leaking from with some engine cleaner or something, and see exactly where the leak is at. Could be lots of things, besides the oil pressure sensor.