Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Passenger side inner axle stub removal?

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2018, 4:12 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side inner axle stub removal?

Hello,
I am attempting to fix a 2004 Cavalier. I replaced both front wheel hubs and test drove the vehicle. I got a nasty grinding/roaring noise from the right front. I jacked up the front, put the car in 1st gear (automatic) and let the wheels turn. Still got the noise, and I noticed that the right front wheel was not turning at the appropriate speed, in fact, I was able to stop it with just my hand.

Naturally confused, I went ahead and replaced the CV axle on that side. (I admit, I may have jumped the gun) The problem persisted. Then i found some information about the C-clip possibly keeping the shaft from fully seating in the transmission.

I decided to check that, but to my dismay, when I popped the CV axle back out, the inner stub remained in the transmission, and I have no idea how to get it out to check on the C-Clip.

Any thoughts on a solution?
Old January 19th, 2018, 8:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the cv shaft has a cir-clip that secures it to the stub shaft. the stub shaft has a cir-clip that secures it to the transmission. if the stub shaft clip wasn't secure...the stub shaft would have come out with the cv shaft.

if you really want to get it out...the dealership have a special tool that clips in the cir-clip groove...then you attach the tool to a slide hammer and slide hammer it off. without that tool or a homemade version...removing that shaft is difficult.

i can't help you with the noise diagnosis; pretty hard to say over the internet.

the vehicle has an open differential so what your are describing regarding the wheels turning sounds normal....if one wheel has grip and the other doesn't...one wheel spins, the other doesn't and the pinion gears walk around the differential. maybe post a video so i can see what your talking about.