Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Radiator Fan?

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2011, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Fan?

My radiator fan works but I don't think its kicking on at the proper temperature.

So, please, how do I check the replay? If that works, then could it be the fan clutch?

In other words, what would you recommend the best testing procedure and sequence to ferret out my electrical problem? (or may there be another problem other than electrical?)

Thanks to those in the forum who've provided me with valuable assistance with my Cavalier.

JT
Old December 15th, 2011, 7:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, providing more information about your Cavalier may prove useful. I know my '04 has no fan clutch and is engaged by ECU.
However, I have no clue how it worked in 20th century, 19th century and in ancient Rome. Actually, I'm pretty sure Cavalier fans back then were operated by slaves.
Old December 17th, 2011, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Cavalier ino

Originally Posted by Segfault
Well, providing more information about your Cavalier may prove useful. I know my '04 has no fan clutch and is engaged by ECU.
However, I have no clue how it worked in 20th century, 19th century and in ancient Rome. Actually, I'm pretty sure Cavalier fans back then were operated by slaves.
Excellent history lesson; I'm indebted. It's a 1988 Chevy Cavalier RS 2.0L. A preemptive thank you. (Or more info? Not sure about Cavaliers and Greek slaves, though.)
Old December 17th, 2011, 7:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, not all slaves were Greek. Romans had slaves from all their "provinces". Some of them from as far as current British islands, not to mention closer areas as Egypt. Some of them were beautiful females, too. You sure you do not want one of those to operate your fan?
Anyhow, now we know what year your Cavalier is. That said, I have no clue of Cavalier fan designs from 1988. Hopefully somebody with better knowledge will chime in.
Old December 17th, 2011, 8:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I can't locate an image but there's supposed to be a radiator fan switch on the thermostat housing. That switch would be the chief suspect if the fan turned on but not at the right temperature. The coolant temperature sending unit is also on the thermostat housing but I'm not certain how to tell the two apart.