Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

radio swap?

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2007, 6:27 AM
SAF
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio swap?

hello all.

just picked up a 2000 cavalier ls, and upon looking at the factory radio, i've reached the conclusion that i have absolutely no idea how to get it out of the car to throw in the CD player from my last car. anyone have any ideas? is this even something that you can do yourself? any help would be appreciated.
Old August 9th, 2007, 8:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: radio swap?

Yeah its pretty easy, first thing you have to so is take off all the plastic trim around the radio (if any). Then the radio is held in by a metal caseing that has small metal flaps that are pushed up all around the radio to hold it in the dash. Simply get a flathead screw driver and go around the outside of the radio and find that flaps and push them backdown. Once all the flaps are down the radio should slide out nicely. When installing the new cd player make sure you push the flaps back up or the radio whill be loose and with every bump your cd will skip. Let me know how it goes!

Joe
Old August 10th, 2007, 7:18 AM
SAF
CF Beginner

thanks. from the looks of it though, the plastic trim around the radio is pretty much the entire dash. am i missing something or is that what i'm supposed to remove first?
Old August 10th, 2007, 2:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Well in my cavalier it was a good amount of the dash but not the whole thing. Mine was around the radio and it went off the the left. I did have to remove that whole piece. If in your case it does connect to the whole dash then yes you have to remove it in order to get to those metal tabs i was telling you about. If you dont remove that dash you might crack the plastic when trying to push the tabs down.