Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Stalled. Towed home.

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2006, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalled. Towed home.

Bought car from co-worker. Car has stalled on me and wouldn't restart. It drove fine and dandy before that. I had to have it towed home. The car will not turn over when I turn the key. It sounds like it is not even engaging the engine. The starter sounds like it is working fine. Help me please someone. I want to see how much it will cost to repair this 1997 Cavalier with the smallest engine available.

Just want to note that the car did quit on me two weeks before due to being out of gas. But that was funny because the car didn't stop the week before that with the gas gauge being at a even lower level. In other words I drove further with the car at "E" with check gage light showing and didn't run out of gas and tried to do this same thing the next week and the gas gage was almost on "E" and ran out of gas. What's the deal. Is my fuel pump gone?
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stalled. Towed home.

the sending unit is probably junk- thats the reason the gage is not reading accurate. Your statement about the engine not turning over but the starter sounding fine is confusing. I would just put some gas in it if the engine is cranking but wont start based on what you have said.
Old September 6th, 2006, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stalled. Towed home.

Well, the same day the car did that, I did add 2 more gallons of gas in it and it didn't start the car. The starter was working fine but the engine wasn't even trying to turn over. I had a so-called mechanic give it a whirl for 30 min. He tried to do a couple of tests to determine if the cars timing was off or whether it had a blown head gasket. He pulled the spark plugs out of it to do something ( I don't know) But he ran out of time and couldn't determine what was going on. So he left the sparks plugs out and that's where I am know. That was three 2 1/2 months ago. The car has sat up since then. I reinstalled the spark plugs last night and tried to start it. The same thing is going on. Any suggestions?