Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Stalling 2001 Cavalier

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2008, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling 2001 Cavalier

Ok so I just replaced the alternator for bad bearings. Now after my car is warmed up and the idle is regular the idle goes up and down when coming to a stop. At higher speeds it seems to be fine but coming to a stop forget it. It started to do this when the temp outside here dropped below 10 degrees. I have 139,000 miles. It was doing this also before I changed the alternator but not as bad as now. Since the weather dropped my car just started quitting on me. Its fine til I run for like 30-45 minutes and sometimes the idle stays pretty high. Please help me figure out why all a sudden it just wants to die at stops. At one point last night even when I started to get higher speeds the power was weak til I got up about 55 mph than the car ran fine again. One place said it sounded like a sticking valve. The accelerator is hard to push down because of the extreme cold.

The car also shakes at high speeds and wobbles side to side when slowing down at low speeds. I just did the brakes like 6 months ago. They also said that sounded like a tire problem.

Im not sure if I had the fuel filter replaced ever actually. If not it's got 139,000 mile but I think I did at like 90,000 miles. I also didnt have a tire rotation in 50,000 miles. But my worst fear is what's wrong with the stalling. Please help. Thank you.

Another problem my rear defrost dont work. Fuse is fine,all is connected and light works when I turn on but doesn't defrost. Is there a relay or something somewhere?