Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Is this the stock remote or is it a installed system.

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2012, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the stock remote or is it a installed system.

Hello, I just purchased a 2003 Cavalier LS with very low milage /km.

But it does not have power locks which im interested in adding. As well as Im not sure if it has antitheft. Theres a automatic start system installed which I am assuming is not the stock system.

If it is id like to know basically I want to add the ability to trigger the power locks via remote to lock the car as well as add an alarm system but there must already be a controller unit installed I would like to know what one it is so I can get the appropriate addons.

Any help would be greatly appretiated. Thanks.

Heres what the remote looks like.

Kinda new to this did some auto shop in highschool so im sure with a little guidance I can get the job done
Old October 23rd, 2012, 7:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

that is an aftermarket remote.

what your wanting to do can be done but there are no wiring harnesses present for options the car doesn't have. It will be a project, not plug and play.
Old November 8th, 2012, 12:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about cavaliers, but I once had a 93 eclipse that was "pre wired" from the factory for power locks, windows and mirrors. Even though it was a base model and did not have these options, it was easy to add them by going to the salvage yard and getting the power window assemblies, door panels, lock actuators and related relays, fuses, etc.. Pretty much plug and play.

I've also heard of other vehicles coming "pre wired" from the factory for certain options whether they had them or not including things like keyless entry/factory alarm, etc... Sometimes vehicle manufacturers use a "one size fits all" or standard body/chassis wiring harness for some cars.

For instance a base model eclipse having the same body wiring harness as a gs eclipse. Remove your door panels and search for wiring/plugs not connected to anything. Sometimes they're taped in the doors or up underneath the dash. It's worth taking a look !