Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Strut and Fender Replacement, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2010, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut and Fender Replacement, Please Help

Hey all,

My girlfriend has a 2004 sedan and the front passenger side fender has some damage to it. If I can find a good one in a junk yard, how difficult is it to remove and then install? Does it require riveting or anything weird like that or is it just bolted in place?

Regarding the struts. She was told recently that her struts need to be replaced, car has about 90k, so I figure it's time. I'd like to do it myself to save money. Anyone know the procedure? Are they a coilover sort of thing? Will I need to remove the springs to do the struts or can I just jack it up and loosen the bolts and change em out?

I'm new to the forum and look forward to your help! Thanks!
Old October 5th, 2010, 1:48 AM
CF Beginner

Really? Nobody has any insight on this?
Old October 6th, 2010, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

The fender is all nuts and bolts. Metric of course. Try to find a car with the door off to make it easier and it should be no problem. For the struts you have to have a spring compressor and it's best to get it aligned after the installation. Pretty simple otherwise and if you get the struts from Advance Auto Parts you can probably borrow the correct spring compressor from them.

Poppop
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

Alright poppop, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I guess I'll start looking for a fender and some struts.
Old October 14th, 2010, 6:31 AM
CF Beginner

for the struts find a car thats siting on the ground with the wheels on it so you can bounce it up and down to see how bouncy it is also check the milage as for taking them out three bolts under the hood and two behind the wheel loosen the three under the hood then remove the 2 behind the wheel so that it hangs there then remove the 3 under the hood, hope this helps