Chevelle & El Camino This section is intended to cover Chevelle, El Camino, and other GM A or G-Body RWD not otherwise covered

69 Chevell Brakes

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2010 | 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 69 Chevell Brakes

I have a '69 Chevelle Malibu with 307 Automatic. It also has front drum brakes. When I apply the brakes it pulls to the left pretty good for a split second then doesn't pull so much. I've had the drums off and everthing looks good. All the brakes are adjusted the same. ie the shoes are adjusted so they barely touch the drum when I cleaned them and put the drums back on. I've read that the distribution block on the frame in the front is only a distribution block and has nothing to do with delaying fluid to the back brakes like it does on systems that have front disc brakes. In other words the distribution block is just a place where the line from the master connects the 2 front brakes lines. I'm not totally convinced my problem is the brakes. My question is "Could something wrong with the front end be causing this sudded jerk to the left when I apply the brakes?"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by preston_green; April 22nd, 2010 at 1:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 22nd, 2010 | 6:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hi preston_green,

Welcome to the Chevy forums.

It could be a few things.

First, are you certain the lines have been thoroughly bled? Might be a small bubble still in one line which has to crush before uniform pressure can be properly applied.

Could be something's loose, shot, or unlubricated in the control arms or steering rack which went unnoticed before when the brakes were less than optimum. A careful visual check of all your suspension components is in order. A bad lower ball joint or slightly bent tie rod could be your culprit.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.