Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

1966 C10 283 Help

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2022, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 C10 283 Help

Hello group, My Dad bought this 1966 C10 used around 1977. He drove a 1977 Chevy truck but bought this truck. He gave the truck to his Dad. My dad was killed in a car accident in 1979. My grandfather gave me the 66 when I was 15. The 283 was so wore out when I pulled the engine it was so bad I went to a salvage yard and picked a 283. Rebuilt the 283 and then I destroyed 2nd gear. I put another 3 speed in and destroyed that transmission. It had the 3 on the tree so it was hard to shift fast. I then went to the salvage yard and bought a Heavy Duty 3 speed trans and installed that with 3 on the floor. Then I tore out the rear axle LOL. That time I went to the salvage yard and bought a rear axle from I think the same truck the HD manual trans came out of. Lots more to the story but I sold the truck to my friends dad. He drove it for a few years from 1984 to around 1990 (not a lot of miles) then my buddy parked it in the pole barn until a few months ago. I bought it back from him and now going to start the process of restoration.

Looking for advice on my project vision. What to do with the front end so it will ride better with much better control... Automatic or manual transmission... Where can I find good parts and are there any NOS parts out there... Tips and pics form everyone would be appreciated. I have other questions for this is good for tonight.

This is where the truck sat for 30 years

That tree grew after the truck was parked there.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 8:38 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dad's1966C10
Hello group, My Dad bought this 1966 C10 used around 1977. He drove a 1977 Chevy truck but bought this truck. He gave the truck to his Dad. My dad was killed in a car accident in 1979. My grandfather gave me the 66 when I was 15. The 283 was so wore out when I pulled the engine it was so bad I went to a salvage yard and picked a 283. Rebuilt the 283 and then I destroyed 2nd gear. I put another 3 speed in and destroyed that transmission. It had the 3 on the tree so it was hard to shift fast. I then went to the salvage yard and bought a Heavy Duty 3 speed trans and installed that with 3 on the floor. Then I tore out the rear axle LOL. That time I went to the salvage yard and bought a rear axle from I think the same truck the HD manual trans came out of. Lots more to the story but I sold the truck to my friends dad. He drove it for a few years from 1984 to around 1990 (not a lot of miles) then my buddy parked it in the pole barn until a few months ago. I bought it back from him and now going to start the process of restoration.

Looking for advice on my project vision. What to do with the front end so it will ride better with much better control... Automatic or manual transmission... Where can I find good parts and are there any NOS parts out there... Tips and pics form everyone would be appreciated. I have other questions for this is good for tonight.

This is where the truck sat for 30 years

That tree grew after the truck was parked there.
You need to decide what restoration level, back to original, or modified for comfort/safety. If the later, disc brakes, beef up the suspension.
The following users liked this post:
Dad's1966C10 (October 2nd, 2022)
Old October 2nd, 2022, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

I'm going for a resto-mod. So modified for comfort and updated so it's fun to drive and no big deal to drive it to truck shows etc. Drivability is a key bullet point. it will go to one of my kids down the road as a family heirloom.

I only have a few memories of my dad and grandfather driving the truck. My dad actually slid into a telephone pole so I think the bumper and grill were replaced. I have more personal memories of driving it and building the engine in High School. Putting the HD trans and rear axle in etc.

I might even change the color. Thought about adding an AC and turning into a short bed but that depends on cost. I like the original ride stance with the right tire wheel set up. So no plans to lower it (not my thing). I agree with you that disc brakes and better suspension with power brakes and power steering. Maybe I will put an RV cam in for more torque and a good sound. I'm doing research on everything and once I know what I want I'll go to a shop to see if my budget can take having to all done. But I think I will end up doing all the mechanicals and outsource the body work.

Thanks for chiming in! All tips, thoughts, and ideas are appreciated. I'm also looking for the best forum to track the build progress. So far this forum is the only one I have found that is user friendly.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 12:41 PM
CF Monarch

What's the story on the fastback setting next to it?
Old October 2nd, 2022, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
That is my friends dad's. It's a 1967 390 that he bought new. It's been sitting right there for 30 years. I sold the 66 truck to his dad in 1984 when I moved to AZ. I live in Indiana now. I bought the truck back from him and we moved both of them a couple of months ago. I'll find a pic or two of the Mustang and post for fun.
Old October 2nd, 2022, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

This was the first day both were moved in 30 years

Old October 2nd, 2022, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Here's one for you guys. The 283 pics below... Someone removed the distributor years ago. No one on the farm remembers what happened but mice entered the engine via the distributor hole and if you look close the junk is packed down in the engine.

If I take the oil pan off and flush the engine out will that work? I will do a compression test on each cylinder and find out if the engine is still good. I rebuilt the engine in 83 or 84. What do you guys think I should do? I will google what the compression should be but I'm thinking it should be 160 or more. ??? If the compression is less than 150 I think I will have the engine rebuilt. I would like to have HP close to 300 and torque in the 350 range. For drivability reasons I that is a good expectation from the 283. Also the heads are off a 350 I think. I will put a new intake and Holly on top. I can do a lot of things with the help of you guys and YouTube but I don't think I can rebuild the engine. But if some chimes in and thinks I can then I would go for it.

Thanks guys for chiming in on the 283.

Have a great Sunday!
Old October 2nd, 2022, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Old October 2nd, 2022, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Hello, am I posting the pics correctly? You should see some pics of the 67 Mustang and some pics of the 283 engine in the 66 C10. I would think more people would be commenting on the pics and my questions. Is there anything I need to do so more people see my posting? Or does it take some time?

Thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2022, 6:31 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Dad's1966C10
Hello, am I posting the pics correctly? You should see some pics of the 67 Mustang and some pics of the 283 engine in the 66 C10. I would think more people would be commenting on the pics and my questions. Is there anything I need to do so more people see my posting? Or does it take some time?

Thanks!
You're fine, specific questions will get specific answers especially dealing with a small block. Looks like you need parts.
The following users liked this post:
Dad's1966C10 (October 2nd, 2022)

Quick Reply: 1966 C10 283 Help