Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

86 C10 noise started after new rotors & calipers - please help

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2014 | 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default 86 C10 noise started after new rotors & calipers - please help

Hello all,

This is my first post here and my first ever truck. My mom passed recently and the truck was hers. She got it from my grandfather that bought it brand new in 1986. My mom had let the truck sit for 7 years. So we took it easy getting it back up and running with changing fluids and new spark plugs, and marvel mystery oil in the chambers etc.. It cranked right up and has ran great for what its been through. I noticed it squealing so bad when I tried to break after getting it up and running that i checked and sure enough the front disc pads were to metal and rear drums pads had stuck to the drums. So I got the rears unstuck and working. For the front disc breaks i did the following:
1) new break lines
2) new calipers
3) new break pads
4) new break fluid throughout whole system, flushed it good
5) new rotors
6) new bearings

Prior to all of this - it squealed when breaking but no other noises.

Now when I'm rolling down the street and pass a building or cars - I can hear this awful noise that sounds like either something loose and being slung inside the rim of the tire , almost like a bolt slinging around mixed with 2 concrete blocks being rubbed together. The sound is only coming form the driver side front. When I am at a stop - no noise - it only makes it while its rolling.

I jacked the truck up and spun both front wheels, and heard a slight bit of friction from the new pads, which i expected. But no awful noise - spun them really fast and backwards and forwards, no noise either side. I even took off the wheel to check to see if maybe I missed something during the install of everything, and all was tight and in its place.

I am at a loss. It gets loud, you could probably hear me coming down the road. I don't want to lose heart with the truck. For what its been through its in very good shape and I thinks its a great and fairly straight forward vehicle to work on and have fun with.

Any ideas or help is much appreciated.

Please let me know

Take care,

Well I feel silly but I figured out finally what was causing the noise. I'd recently gotten new tires put on and Discount Tire took the vanity cap out of the middle of the wheels to balance them. They had to remove 2 flat head screws to go that. They replaced all but the driver side rear. I can wiggle it like crazy and it clangs bad especially at speed. So that is the culprit. I'm going tomorrow to see if the store still has the screws. Glad it was simple

Last edited by boss302beav; October 17th, 2014 at 8:01 PM.