Notices
Classic Trucks (Prior to 1987) Section for all discussion related to the Classic Chevrolet and GMC trucks prior to 1987.

Need steering column expertise.

Old January 26th, 2019, 5:14 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Default Need steering column expertise.

This should be an easy fix but maybe GM is making me go back to school. I have two issues with the column.

The truck is a 1981 C-10, automatic,with an even older replacement non-tilt steering column.

1. Earlier this year I had the steering wheel off to replace the turn-signal switch. At that time I noticed the rod that is supposed to engage the lock-plate was not extending when I would turn the key off. I couldn't figure out how to get the push rod from the lock mechanism to seat into the block that extends the steering wheel lock-rod. I can see the key-geared rod move back and forth when I turn the key, but IDK what I am overlooking. How is the pusher rod supposed to be secured to the block?

2. I had the wheel off again today to try to fix a lock-cylinder that won't reverse to turn on the accessory position for the radio. It was binding, but even though now it is lubricated, and seems to work freely, I am not getting any radio operation. The radio works fine on the run position. Maybe that is an electrical switch adjustment . .
Thanks in advance.

Old March 5th, 2019, 9:33 PM
CF Beginner

I have all these words in my head to help you but I cant come to grips with all the names of the damn parts.
The rod is controlled from the pin that crosses the column to engage the metal tab that engages the ignition switch rod.
I remember a little spring for that rod but this is where the tilt/non tilt has me partially confused. I rebuilt 100's of tilt columns. Non tilt never had issues except for the electrical.
If you could share a pic of the items you've removed from the column I should be able to help. Also a pic with the column oriented in a way where I know the key switch is at the 3 oclock position (ish)
Im old and forgetful LOL
Old March 14th, 2019, 11:11 AM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.

Thanks for the response, Terminal Frost. I did get it figured out, eventually.

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: