Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

05 Cobalt shifter doesn't unlock

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Cobalt shifter doesn't unlock

I just returned from a deployment and my wifes car doesn't shift out of park. She just left it in the driveway and used my truck while I was gone but I would like to fix her car and get my truck back now. The key goes in fine and the car starts. When the brake pedal is pushed you can here a 'click' from inside the shift lever but it doesn't unlock. The Haine's manual I picked up today from the Autozone down the road is useless. I have been told there is a shift lock relay that is probably bad. Any help would be appreciated as to what the cause may be, how to troubleshoot it, and if there is a way to over ride it just to get the car moved.
Thanks.
Lisa M. Stewart
Old April 29th, 2009, 3:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those manuals are a waste of money. Throw that thing in the trash. There are a couple things that could cause this issue. I know Gm just issued a recall on some cars for a shifter related issue. I am not sure what it was. I would investigate that first before going any further. If not, I'll try to help you out.
Old April 29th, 2009, 4:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I may need a second on this...I beleive its the brake switch. When the vehicle is in park and you press the brake, the brake switch energizes the shifter unlock coil.
Old April 30th, 2009, 7:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
I may need a second on this...I beleive its the brake switch. When the vehicle is in park and you press the brake, the brake switch energizes the shifter unlock coil.
It's not uncommon for them to fail. They are little plastic pieces of junk. Happens on v-dubs all the time. Though you should not compare one car to another... especially a different brand. It is still a common issue in a lot of vehicles even GM.