Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2005 Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2019, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Cobalt

I've had this cobalt for 3 years. Recently i had a issue with a leaking fuel line and thought my car issues would be done for awhile at least. But not even a week later my steering wheel has started to act difficult. Its hard to describe, but its hard to turn in SOME cases. Not all time time but rather at certain points in turning its difficult, then easy again. My (very very limited) car knowledge plus google says that its a power steering issue. But no dash light pops up. I learned its a electric system but i dont really have the money for an expensive trip to the mechanic. Especially this close to my last one. Does anyone knows if it is the power steering and if so, how long I can go without permanently damaging my car?
Old April 25th, 2019, 8:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

When the p/s motor get hot it will shut down until it cools. if you have never been to the dealer since you own it... they did have a recall on the electric power steering motors. call the dealer, provide your vin and they will tell you if the recall has been down to your vehicle. You might get a free p/s motor. the system has full diagnostics...but you will need a full function scan tool to access the module as its a chassis code.

electric power steering parts are $$$ so maybe pick and pull would be the answer.

driving won't damage anything but not having power steering could be a safety issue if you had to do an emergency maneuver.