Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2006 Cobalt strange idle issues

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2018, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Cobalt strange idle issues

Hello everyone,
I have a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Sedan with the 2.2L Ecotec engine, naturally aspirated, automatic transmission.

When I start the car, it revs up to almost 2,000 RPM and takes about 30 seconds to make its way down to 780-800-ish RPM. On a cold day, it takes a little longer but I figure that's probably normal.

When I pump the brakes while stopped in park or neutral, the engine shudders and then revs. It will repeat this until I stop playing with the brakes and takes a few seconds to pull its act together again.

When I'm driving, if I shift into neutral, the engine does the same repeated shuddering and revving. It's really odd. Sometimes when I'm stopping in drive, it'll shudder and then buck.

When it does shutter and rev, it seems to be bouncing around by about 500 RPM according to the tachometer.

I've used a spray bottle of water to check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold and the connectors and lines that come off of it. Never saw any signs of it sucking in any water.

I've had the throttle body cleaned out, no change.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.