Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2008 Cobalt completely locked up...at a loss...

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2013, 2:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2008 Cobalt completely locked up...at a loss...

Ok so here's the situation...

It's your basic issue where the car was working, then all of a sudden, the engine wouldn't turn over, and the starter kept clicking but nothing happened. Noticed the security light coming on, researched a bit and found it was pretty common for that light coming on due to a low battery, or suddenly needing to "re-learn" the keys.

After looking up plenty of "sit there for 30 minutes with the key in the ignition" stories, I decided to try that. So I'm out there with the key in the ignition, popped the trunk to look at the engine cuz I'm bored....Check the car and the key won't come out.

After finally getting the keys free, I now realize that EVERYTHING is locked up now. The brake won't release, the ignition won't even budge to turn the radio on, I can't release the parking brake...the car is in full lock down.

So at this point, I'm not sure what to do, or why this car that has no alarm or security features that I know of, has now gotten to the point where nothing even moves. If anyone has any advice or info, I'd greatly appreciate your comments!
Old May 30th, 2013, 2:52 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezadam
Ok so here's the situation...

It's your basic issue where the car was working, then all of a sudden, the engine wouldn't turn over, and the starter kept clicking but nothing happened. Noticed the security light coming on, researched a bit and found it was pretty common for that light coming on due to a low battery, or suddenly needing to "re-learn" the keys.

After looking up plenty of "sit there for 30 minutes with the key in the ignition" stories, I decided to try that. So I'm out there with the key in the ignition, popped the trunk to look at the engine cuz I'm bored....Check the car and the key won't come out.

After finally getting the keys free, I now realize that EVERYTHING is locked up now. The brake won't release, the ignition won't even budge to turn the radio on, I can't release the parking brake...the car is in full lock down.

So at this point, I'm not sure what to do, or why this car that has no alarm or security features that I know of, has now gotten to the point where nothing even moves. If anyone has any advice or info, I'd greatly appreciate your comments!
Hi Ibanezadam,

So sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your Cobalt. Were you ever able to get the key out of the ignition? I can definitely look into your your concerns for you. If you are interested I would need you to send me the last 8-digits of your VIN. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance with this issue.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Amber.... So yea, I was able to get the key out using the button release under the steering wheel. However still, nothing turns on when I turn the key and the parking brake still won't release. I had a friend of mine try to jump the battery for me with no luck. The hand brake does move now, which it didn't before. The last 8 digits on the vin# are 8715 8164. I still thinks its something to do with the security lock,but ill take any advice you can give me!
Old June 2nd, 2013, 8:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have your battery tested. If the battery is internally shorted it won't start off a boost.

if the starter solenoid is clicking repeatedly during starting its probably the battery. The theft deterrant system, if active will either disable the starter (the solenoid won't click at all) or will allow a start but will stall immediately....depends on what type of theft system the car has....some disable the starting circuit, some disable the fuel injectors.

....when the battery is dead the shift interlock solenoid is not powered so the key will be stuck in the ignition

do you see a pattern here?

Last edited by tech2; June 2nd, 2013 at 8:39 AM.
Old June 6th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ibanezadam,

I was able to look up your VIN and and see that there are no service related recalls for your concerns. We can address your concerns with your dealership. I would like to find a dealership in your area. Please private message me so I can get more information to be able to assist your further.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 12th, 2013, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

there is a safety recall for your ignition tumbler ive had mine replaced twice next will be your 411 code going then battery will always die
Old July 31st, 2018, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Ibanezadam,

So sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your Cobalt. Were you ever able to get the key out of the ignition? I can definitely look into your your concerns for you. If you are interested I would need you to send me the last 8-digits of your VIN. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance with this issue.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

the vin is77409527
Old August 1st, 2018, 1:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Hays
the vin is77409527
Should be 17 digits. 77409527 is way too short.