Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

2009 LT Cobalt need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2010 | 12:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Cool 2009 LT Cobalt need your opinion

Hello to all.
I went out this past year and purchased a per owned 2009 LT Cobalt with 19669 miles on it .
After the second week of driving it I noticed a thumping sound in the front end , so I took it back to the dealer only to find the streering shaft had snaped . Then two weeks later I was back with the air bag light that would not go out. They said they had to replace a sensor. After that I felt I was home free no problems ,but wait here we go again I noticed that the MPG was only 16 now I know something is wrong. Took it back and this is what the dealer told me was the problem. The gas that I was using contains ethanol and that is the reason for the bag MPG. He told me to purchase gas without ethanol and I would not have that problem. So I found some and tried it that got me 18 MPG.
Then came the exhaust smell inside the car everytime I would use the deforster or defoger.
Dealer told me I was not to use that in the winter it was only to be used in the summer with the aircondition. This is why I was smelling the exhaust. But I was smelling this when the car was moving. Makes you wonder if this dealer knows anything,
By 22.000 miles it was back in again this time for all the lights would turn off and then come on again after hitting a pothole. and it would happen more on rainy nights . The dealer told me not to drive it at night.
So do you thing I got a lomon or dose all Cobalts act like this?
Now for the past 3 months I have not used the car due to winter weather.
Old March 5th, 2010 | 1:46 AM
Super Moderator

I think your best bet is to find a new dealer! Sounds like electrical issues.
Old March 5th, 2010 | 1:54 AM
Super Moderator

i agree with suzuki guy. sounds like they dont want to mess with your car..
Old March 5th, 2010 | 2:14 AM
CF Junior Member

The dealer I purchased it from I will not go back to for there lack of fixing the problem . Went to another dealer and this is what they did for the problem with the lights.
scanned has no body code, checked battery terminals & Alt connections OK. Found bulletin #PIC5073A Says to remove driver's seat & rocker panel & inspect splice #S361 Did so but found no splice,SI Document has no mention of S361 anywhere for this vehicle. Reassembled and road tested.
So the other dealer could not find the real problem. will have to wait to spring to see what happens .
Old March 16th, 2010 | 6:24 PM
CF Junior Member

The Cobalt is back on the road and still has the same old problems it had. I still get the sell of the exhaust when I turn on the defoger at 40 mph.
There is Three case file number on the car from GM so I think that is why I got a call from the dealer I purchased it from. They now would like to buy it back and place me in a new 2010.
This all came from placing the problems on forms like this one. Seems that GM has had it with fixing a car that once on problem is fixed another one pop up. The car only has 22666 on it .
Will find out more in the next three day on what they are going to do. Will let you know what happens.

Last edited by fstusclbgy; March 16th, 2010 at 6:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 19th, 2010 | 7:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I knew something was up and sure as you know . the dealer tryed to pull another fast one but this time I walked out on him. It seems that he can not tell the differance from a 2009 to 2010. They called me two time with in one hour to tell me they had a 2010 coming in. But the car that they wonted me to purchase has 22569 miles on it . Thats not a new car to me .plus it was a four door I like the coupe. I told the sales rep that now I will let GM take care of it and they said let me go in and see what the sales manager will do . But they will sell me a new 2010 for 4000-6000 more then what I am now paying.
There sales manager ask why do you need a coupe? I told him because i like them . It seemed that he was saying you take what I picked out or get nothing. I left and told them to call me when they find something.
Got home and emailed GM and told them what happened and now they will look into it and see what is going on at that dealer.
Old March 20th, 2010 | 7:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Just a dumb question. Everytime I used aircondition before you would get less gas mileage. But it seem this Cobalt get better MPG using the air. I get around 16-18 without the air , But with the air I am getting 21.1 dose this sound right. Or dose this sound like the computer is messed up?
Old March 25th, 2010 | 3:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Just had it back in for the exhaust fumes everytime I use the hearter .
There findings not exhaust BUT did smell odd oder. HMMMMMM.
there bandage fix . Drill small holes in heater case and install deoderizer.
So if it kills me know one will ever know what the real oder/fumes were.
Old April 5th, 2010 | 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

based on all your reports here, I would say you have a lemon there

And the Dealers sounds like they are total idiots
Old April 22nd, 2010 | 5:48 PM
Super Moderator

It seems like at least some of them are.

Why don't you tell the dealer when he tells you to not drive the car or use options under certain conditions, GM should put that in their sales advertising...