Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

ZX1100F1 please give us your opinion...

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2007, 7:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZX1100F1 please give us your opinion...

Dave,

We finally took our Tahoe into the Dealer to get the first oil change and to let them reprogram the exit lighting. We even made a copy of your response to my post on 11/15/06 and took it with us. They worked on this problem for over an hour with no results. We even reviewed your comments together with the Service Tech and his Supervisor but they still could not get it programmed correctly. They ended up calling GM Tech Service and again no results. They checked three new Tahoe’s in the showroom and they wouldn’t work either.

That’s when they started to say the lights are not supposed to work when exiting the vehicle and that’s when I began to get mad. I told them my 03’ Silverado works both entering and exiting and why would 07’ Tahoe’s be any different. I said it didn’t make sense for them not to work when exiting at night because that would be the time that a person would need to see their footing the most.

Anyway, they said they would continue to talk to GM Tech Service and try to find a solution. Meanwhile, I‘m still not convinced that GM would program the Tahoe’s differently from the Silverado’s.

Dave, do you have any thoughts about this or should I just give up. After all this is the only thing wrong with Tahoe #2 and my wife loves this thing more everyday. She likes to rub it in that her Tahoe gets 16.8 in town and my Truck only gets 16.1. Anyway, if you have any suggestions we would appreciate hearing them and thanks for your time.

Gman
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: ZX1100F1 please give us your opinion...

I had the same problem which occurred after owning my 07' Burb for a week. I think my wife screwed something up by pressing DIC buttons. I read manual anddid a reset ofthe exit lights myself.
Old January 17th, 2007, 5:29 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please refresh my memory and explain exactly what the courtesy lighting is doing or not doing?

Old January 17th, 2007, 9:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do the lights under the mirrors not come on when the door is opened to get in or out? His may only NOT come on when he gets out but mine do not open getting in or out.

My puddle lights do not come on when I open the door to get in or out. They only come on when the RKE is used to unlock the vehicle...The "I'm over here" lights to helpyou find it once it is unlocked.

Old January 18th, 2007, 12:54 AM
CF Active Member

Dave

I think the question is, do the curb lights under each mirror come on entering and exiting the vehicle at night or do they just come on while entering the vehicle. The way mine work now is using the RKE they come on entering but they don’t when exiting. I’m now getting mixed signals from the dealership on this issue. It seems that nobody can answer this question.

I posted this same question on the Suburban Forum asking owners of 07’ Suburban's with the power fold-away mirrors how their curbs lights were programmed. I'm waiting for replies at this time.

I’m beginning to think it’s a software problem. Whoever wrote the software for the 07’ Tahoe’s failed to inter the correct information into the program. That’s why I thought of you because you have friends in high places and can get the answers.
Maybe you could get GM’s answer on how they intended for these lights to work in the first place.

In your last response 11/17/06 you said, “One error that dealers are commonly making when they program the modules with these updated calibrations is that some are not using the Pass-Thru method. You may want them to try it again and stress that they need to use the Pass-Thru method to complete this procedure”. We did this last Monday at the Dealership with no results.

When you think about it these mirrors are pretty complex. They perform many functions; curb lights, built in turn signal, heated, auto curb tilt, power fold, power adjust, auto dim and all of this stuff is controlled by a computer. I can see how somebody could make a software programming mistake.

Dave, as always thanks for any help.
Old January 18th, 2007, 2:22 PM
CF Addict

OK, now I understand and had to do some research to come up with an exact description of how the mirror lights are actually intended to function. GM nomenclature is: "Courtesy Entry Lighting". After reading the tech spec’s it’s clear that the designed operation of these lights is to only illuminate during entry when the RKE is used to access the vehicle. I’m not sure why the lighting engineers decided to do this but I’ll see if I can find out….just sounds a little odd or maybe even a simple oversight.
So for now they are working properly even though we all probably agree that they should light up for exit as well.

Old January 18th, 2007, 8:06 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks Dave
I will leave it alone now. Maybe in six months they will make a change. If they dohow could I find out if and when they make a change?
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Dave, Mine do NOT come on when I open the door.They come on when I unlock with the RKE. Is that the way they are supposed work-activated by unlock not by the opening of door?

EDIT>>>Nevermind. just re-read your post. Seems as though they are functioning to specs.
Please add this to the "what to change" list you asked about.
Old January 19th, 2007, 4:51 PM
CF Addict

I will post any pertinent information I come up with regarding all updates (as they are released) on this forum. Nothing we would all like see more than everyone of you people completely satisfied with your new GMT900 vehicles, they are fine products.