Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

TRANSMISSION VS WARRANTY (NEED YOUR OPINION)

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2007, 9:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANSMISSION VS WARRANTY (NEED YOUR OPINION)

Oh yea I need YOUR feedback on this one[>:]

As you know my Tahoe is in the Tranny shop.[/align]I have a 1 Month/1000 Mile Warranty that covers Engine and Transmission with a $100.00 deductible and a $750.00 cap on repairs.[/align]

Seems before I took delivery of the Tahoe, they had an "Idiot Light" that was on and related to the Tranny, which I was told, was fixed.
The night before I took delivery, they took out the Radiator and re-cored/flushed it.
[/align]Got a call from the Tranny guy today aaaaaannnnndddddddd.........................

Seems as though there was a "small leak" and water got into the Transmission, (not alot, but enough) and ate away at the Water Soluble Glue that hold the friction material onto the bands in the Tranny. [:-]
The Tranny guy was the same guy that fixed it before.
He had to replace some electrical part in the Tranny Pan that was slightly rusted.
He didn't think anything of it, because usually (he said) when Water gets into the Transmission you get a foaming/Milkshake/Pepto Bismol kind thing going on. He said the leak wasn't big enough to cause that type of symptom, but WAS enough to eat away the Glue on the bands in the Tranny.[/align][/align]So the mechanic calls the Warranty Company and they wont honor it. Then the Mechanic calls the Owner of the dealership where I bought the car, and he agrees to pay the $750.00 out of his own pocket, (the cap amount on the repairs per the warranty).

Trouble is, the TOTAL REPAIRS WILL COST $2100.00!!!!!!

So that means I have to come up with $1300.00 out of my own pocket![/align]Well I'm on disability and haven't worked for a year , so all our income is based on myDisability checks and the Wife's income, so money is EXTREMELY TIGHT!

I had to have this Truck towed 3 separate times in 6 days.
I've owned it for atotal of 3 weeks and put only 150 Miles (if that) on it.
The 1st payment is coming due in a couple of weeks![/align][/align]I've got an e-mail into the Owner, basically asking him what my options are at this point.[/align][/align]Thoughts/Opinions would be welcomed![/align][/align]
Roger
[/align]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6179/98A8A520A84645CB9334800F9A899CD0.jpg[/IMG]
Old February 2nd, 2007, 9:42 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: TRANSMISSION VS WARRANTY (NEED YOUR OPINION)

See if the Tranny shop will take payments. Perhaps one larger payment at the beginning along with the $750.00 from the dealer should cover most of the ranny shops expenses. Then payments from there to cover the labor.
Its worth asking.

The only other thing would be to aks the tranny shop to do a search for a good used low milage tranny to replace it with.

Just a thought
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
CF Active Member

Well I've considered that.
I've also considered seeing if they could tack on that extra $1300.00 to the life of the loan.
I'm just on the fence on this.
I just don't think I should have to foot the bill at all on this.
The leak came BEFORE I bought the Tahoe.
I think that it should be the Dealers responsibility to make sure the Track was solid before the sale.
Since this problem initially started before I bought it, I think the Dealership should absorb the coast and make it right.
Roger
[/align]
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. I wouldnt pay jack ****. You might give a lawyer a call. If the issue with the brakes existed before you purchased it, and they "said" they fixed it, I would argue this to the end.

I also dont understand how they can give you a warranty for engine and transmission with a 750 cap. LMAO, I think your example is a perfect reason to how that is a **** warranty.

I am sorry this has happened. I dont know a lot about this as I havent had a similar issue. But I do agree that I dont think you should have to pay jack!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious about the terms of the sale... wasthe vehicle offered for sale with the warranty included as part of the terms,or was the vehicle sold as-is and then the warranty sold as a separatedrive train coverageadd-onafter the sale?

This might have a bearing on what you can do.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
CF Active Member

The warranty was included in the sale of the Tahoe and is handeld by a seperate warranty company.
All there vehicles the sell, come with a 1 Month/1000 Mile warranty.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 1:30 PM
CF Veteran

Its nice that the owner of the dealership ponied up$750, but IMO its not good enough. Since your truck has less than 150 miles since you made the purchase its obvious the problem existed before you made the purchase. The purchase price was based on a truck in good working order, not perfect mind you, but in good working order. A defective tranny does not support good working order that you based your purchase price on. I would ask the owner in a nice way to made good on what he sold. If he does own up to the defect, I would get a lawyer.
Old February 4th, 2007, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

I managed an aftermarket accessory company for 6 years, mainly dealing with extended warranties sold thru dealerships and if the dealer is overriding the denial of the claim, you are lucky. Many dealers, being only a selling agent for the warranty plan, don't even give these denials a second thought. However it seems they contributed to the problem, so maybe they are feeling a bit responsible.My question to you is: If you are on disability and have not worked in a year, why are you buying a truck in the first place?? What you should've done, and maybe still can, is spring for the extra dough on a more comprehensive and long term warranty to cover any other unexpected (and they always are unexpected) repairs.
Old February 4th, 2007, 6:38 PM
CF Active Member

Wags,
After 2 years and 4 cars/trucks that were absolute junk, I decided to spend a little extra and buy a 4X4 from a smaller Dealer that could meet my financial needs. I put $2K down on this Tahoe with payments of $201.00 a month.
That payment, fell within the peramiters of what our budget could handle.This dealer also put an additional $1600.00 in repairs to the Tahoe before I took delivery of it and provided me with "Who/When/How Much" the work that was done.
I really don't think it's the dealerships fault (or mine).
If there's any "fault" , I say it lands with the Transmission shop.He was the one that called me and told me about the "rusted solenoid" he had found and ultimately replaced, before I took delivery of the Tahoe.He also admitted that there was probably a "small leak" that contributed to the Transmission Failure".I'm no mechanic, but if a Transmission part is rusted, that is located within the Transmission Pan, I'd be looking a little closer. I sure wouldn't want to just ignore the problem and put the Truck out there for sale and have something (like has happened to me), to arise.
I say the Transmission shop should eat the cost and make good on a full transmission rebuild.The Dealership sells 20-35 vehicles a month, so if they loose money on this Tahoe , that's the price of doing business.
Roger
[/align]
Old February 4th, 2007, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

ORIGINAL: Wags
My question to you is: If you are on disability and have not worked in a year, why are you buying a truck in the first place??
Wags,
I do not think wwotr was being financially irresponsible. He bought a car for transportation that is a hell of alot cheaper than a new 07. Just because someone is on disability does not mean they do not need transportation. Cut the guy some slack.

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION VS WARRANTY (NEED YOUR OPINION)