Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

changing oil on a cobalt

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2007, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing oil on a cobalt

I am a little confused on how to change the oil on my cobalt. I know the oil filter and its location is a bit different than any other car. Can someone maybe explain how I go about changing it. Is there any kind of gasket or seal around the filter that may need replaced. Pictures would be great if someone knows where i can find pictures of the filter location. Thank you.
Old May 19th, 2007, 5:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: changing oil on a cobalt

pretty sure filter is bottom center........not 100% on that one, wont be hard to find look for the white round thing, but basically look in the manual for specs, to see how much it takes, basically, pop the drain plug let it drain,unscrew the filter, hand tight the new one on and a LITTLE more do not overtighten, some people add oil to the filter so that you car is not low after changing it, I fill it about half, absolutely put some new oil around the rubber seal before you put the oil filter back on, helps retain the seal, and as for seal the new filter will have one already there
Old May 19th, 2007, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah i know how to change the oil on other cars, but this cobalt is totally different. It doesnt take a regular oil filter like my malibu. The oil filter on the cobalt doesnt have the metal canister casing like all the other car oil filters, and it is located in a different place. I think I may know where it is but i want to be positive before I take it off the car so I dont mess anything up. Thanks for the reply though.
Old May 21st, 2007, 9:14 PM
CF Junior Member

open your hood. look to the front of the engine on the drivers side, the oil filter is a cartridge type, so you undo i believe its a 22mm.(dont quote me on that). and you will remove a cap with a paper filter attached. remove the filter and put the new one on. then screw it back together. if you are having a hard time finding it, i can take a pic. mines an 05 2.2L OR.. for $30 take it to the chevrolet dealer and let them deal with it. (im a mechanic and I dont change my own oil). cause for $30, they do it for you. and its about $26 to buy oil and a filter.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. Yeah thats about how i thought it was. Mine is also a 2005 2.2L. It sounds about as easy as i thought, i just wasnt sure if there was any other little tricks because i have never dealt with the cartridge types. I got the oil and the filter around 20 or a few dollars less, so it would save me a bit of money to do it myself. I guess I will give it a go sometime this week. Thanks for the replys.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

If its not toomuch trouble and dont mind it might be nice to have it pointed out on a pic. I took a look at it the other day and i think i saw where it goes, but it would always be nice to be sure before i take the wrong thing off and have more problems. I didnt really see anything else around that size to get it confused with. I saw it had a big black plastic looking nut/cap on the front right side of the engine, am i looking at the right thing? Thanks for the help.
Old May 26th, 2007, 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Well i finally got around to changing the oil on it yesterday. It was probably the easiest oil change i have ever seen. Thats a great design using that kind of oil filter, its alot easier and alot cleaner. You dont spill oil when taking it out like I usually do when i change a regular oil filter. It would be nice to see more cars with this type of oil filter setup in the future. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Old May 26th, 2007, 7:23 PM
CF Junior Member

it is a good set up.
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Just changed the oil on my new Cobalt for the first timetoday. The filter is easy to get to, just be careful of the wiring around it. It's similar to the postwar Chevys and Buick straight 8's that had the oil filter housing bolted to the intake manifold.
Old September 17th, 2007, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

It's a Great setup UNLESS you have the 2.2L Supercharged engine in which case the SuperCharger and related equipment is directly above and just in the way of a clean exit with the Oil filter. I've made (3) attempts so far to get the oil filter & cover off, turned over and removed cleanly...Cobalt/GM 3...Me-0. Without the SuperCharger in the way, seems like it would be the Perfect setup. Might just be me though.

Quick Reply: changing oil on a cobalt