Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

changing oil on a cobalt

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2007, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: changing oil on a cobalt

i'm changing my oil and filter tomorrow for the first time on my 2007 cobalt, i was reading this forum about it, could you please tell me where the filter is located.is it on drivers side top or bottom of engine, sounds like it is easily accessible? this filter cartridge is new to me, thanks
Old May 24th, 2008, 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

the oil filter is inder the engime cover that comes off when you remove the oil cam ,it just a paper element filter no metal housingthe cover takes a 32 mm short 1./2 drive socket to have clearnce with the intake manafold just take it a little past snug when tighting it being its a composite cover,i dont understand why the dam oil filer for these cars cost $7.00 for just a little pastic and paper,the one for my full size shevy whick is metal is only $4,i put the walmart synthetic between the oil and filters witch i got on sale at pep boys it cost me about 15 for an oil change
Old May 31st, 2008, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

You are correct, the 2.2. and 2.4 filter is easy to get to - just need to hold a wire bundle out of the way when removing or installing it. It is best to let the engine drain for a while before removing the filter too so there is less oil in the filter before taking it out. There are special sockets that you can buy (Autozone andPepboys carry them) -- it is a 32MM very short wall socket -- I think you can also use a 1 1/4" socket too.
Old May 31st, 2008, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: tlee878

i'm changing my oil and filter tomorrow for the first time on my 2007 cobalt, i was reading this forum about it, could you please tell me where the filter is located.is it on drivers side top or bottom of engine, sounds like it is easily accessible? this filter cartridge is new to me, thanks
For anyone else looking to do their own Cobalt (ECOtec) oil filter change -- the filter is just to the right (driver's side) of the intake manifold. Look for a roundblack plastic cover with a 32MM hex nut on top of it.
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cobalt
Well i finally got around to changing the oil on it yesterday. It was probably the easiest oil change i have ever seen. Thats a great design using that kind of oil filter, its alot easier and alot cleaner. You dont spill oil when taking it out like I usually do when i change a regular oil filter. It would be nice to see more cars with this type of oil filter setup in the future. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Good to know; dealer did the most recent change on mine (just bought it) but I'll be trying it myself in a few months.

Sounds like it's going to be much easier than it is with my '02 Saturn, where the oil filter is on the back of the block, facing the firewall. Only way to get at it (at home) is to put it on ramps and crawl under, or jack and remove the right-front tire and go through the wheel-well.