Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

Cobalt Transmission problems... I think?

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2014, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobalt Transmission problems... I think?

I have a 06' Cobalt LS with 2.0L engine. I believe this is a tranny problem, but who knows these days.
  1. Reduced Power – During take-off, the power is greatly reduced. Sometimes it's slightly better after the car warms up, but it almost seems like the car starts off in 2nd or 3rd gear and just stays there during the entire trip.
  2. Reduced m.p.g. – Although it may not be accurate, the displayed mpg has gone from an average of 27 down to 22.5. But we can definitely can tell a difference.
  3. High rpm – I tested going on the interstate and started on the ramp at 35mph. By the time I leveled off at 70mph, my rpm's registered 4500 and I never heard or felt any gear shifts during the entire test. When I completely let my foot off the gas, the rpm's immediately drop to around 500. This is not specific to the interstate, it happens every time we drive.
  4. Engine Light – The engine light stays on. Advanced Auto Parts did a code check and besides several different transmission codes that they couldn't explain, it did come back with a "Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Threshold". Engine temp usually runs around 189, but have never seen it over 192 and I live in Florida.
  5. Brake Light – This may not be relevant, but every time we come to a stop, the red “brake” dash indicator comes on and the digital display reads: “Check Brake Fluid”. However, the fluid is at normal levels every time we check it.

Sorry for the long explanation, but would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!