Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

CV diff play

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2013, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV diff play

Hey yall. I have an '08 cobalt ls, 5 speed, with a nasty clunk/rattle under the passenger side. I've read through all your forums and what google has to offer and replaced nearly every part under there. Cv shaft, end links, struts, control arm bushings, bearings.
I got it on a lift after replacing the cv shaft and there is about 1 inch of play side-side top-bottom on the cv coming out of the trans-diff. While less than a 1/4 inch on the drivers side. I got two "expert opinions" saying maybe trans or maybe its fine. . .
I'd trust your opinion far more than the goons they got here. So, anything else I should do before shopping for a used trans, or taking the trans to a shop? Whats your thoughts on this? Thanks for your time.
Old October 27th, 2013, 1:44 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Yeah my first guess would have been the strut bearing as I have seen that on the wife's old minivan...but you have done that....
Old October 27th, 2013, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

From what I've read it's a differential output shaft bearing. O'Reillys has a set, but I've never tore into a diff before. Plenty of trans, sticks and autos but not a diff. I read somewhere the diff is under a spring load and you need a professional to break it apart. is this true or can I do it myself?
Old November 2nd, 2013, 3:00 AM
CF Beginner

Anyone have similar problems like this? Does diff bearings sound right, or am I going in the wrong direction?