Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

P0446 code on a 2006 cobalt

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0446 code on a 2006 cobalt

I noticed my check engine light came on, code reader brought up a P0446 which is a Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction. Found on a site said to tighten gas cap, which i did. Cleared the code, a day later light came back on. While trying to get gas last time the pump kept shutting off in seconds when i tried to pump gas, and vapor was released from tank when i opened the gas cap. Thinking it may be the VENT solenoid, i need to know where this part is located in my car and anything else i should know about fixing this problem. Thanks.
Old July 9th, 2012, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

the vent solenoid is located just above the rear trailing arm behind the gas tank its attached to the black canister on the top right if your looking at the canister. you have to drop the black canister down to remove the solenoid but u dont need to disconnect any lines. id check the wiring first i had this exact same code on my 2006 cobalt and i replaced both the vent solenoid and the purge solenoid just to find out the white control wire for the vent solenoid had corroded away after i fixed the wires the code went away havent had a problem with it since. hope this helps

Last edited by Angelbabes0220; July 9th, 2012 at 6:33 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old March 15th, 2013, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

also the black container is known as a Charcoal Filter ... if filter in it breaks up it will block the vent lines and make you burn more gas while driving ... pull out black container and check all air valves and check to see if you have any charcoal / white filter fragments floating around ... also can blow into some of the valves to clean out anything that might block it.. seen to many of charcoal containers go bad ... usally it or parts of it block up the air valves and when you go to put gas into car / truck will cause the pump to shut down unless you slowly put gas in
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Hello a friend of mine has the same problem with his car, the check engine light is not going off, and we came to the conclusion that the wires are not working can you please tell me the place where you bought the wires or how did you fix them.

Thank you in advance