Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

suspension

Old June 10th, 2018, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension

Im fixing on replacing the suspension, all the way around, on the wifes 2009 cobalt. More accurately, im fixing on whoring this job out because im getting too fat, lazy, and old to just do this myself. Hahaha!

Now. Heres the question. While i have the front shock/spring assembly off of there, would it be worth my time to replace the control arms and bushings while im doing it? If not, why not? And if so, why?

Also, do i want to go ahead and replace anything else while doing this job?

​​​​​​​Thanks gang!
Old June 10th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

if they are cracked/worn or making noise replace them. If the ball joint has play replace them. If they aren't bad, why replace parts that are still good?

save yourself time and money and put in quick struts. At 9years old the upper strut mount, bearing will be worn and the spring will have sagged. Check the ball joints and tie rod ends for play, steering shaft u-joint for tightness and looseness. Inspect the tires for cracking, irregular wear. Replace any worn parts and have the vehicle aligned.

Last edited by tech2; June 10th, 2018 at 10:34 AM.

Search this Thread