Cobalt This sporty compact was faced with the difficult job of replacing the popular Cavalier, but whether the base model, or the supercharged SS is chosen, is has made for a great replacement.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out CobaltSS.net

At Wits End!!!

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2011, 1:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At Wits End!!!

So a friend of mine talked me into putting a system in my Cobalt. Considering I spend most of my work day driving around, I figured why not.

Two 10" 800 watt subs and 800 Watt Amp. Bought the wire harness, head unit , dash kit, etc.

It's all hooked up as it should be. Ground, Power, Remote wire.

BUT.... the damn Subs dont work!!! It gets power. The Amp works, but the "protection" light isnt lit. The fuses are fine.

I found somewhere that the original harness doesnt provide a Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ wire, that I have to wire into the steering column & use the brown wire.

I REALLY hope I dont have to!! My car = my job. And I'm no mechanic!

Anyone got any ideas?

OH! And the same "friend" who talked me into it is now "too busy" to help me with it. Figures!!!
Old December 20th, 2011, 9:21 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your going to have to find yourself an accessory wire. Just get yourself a test light and prod around a little bit, you can find a suitable wire to tie into after a few minutes and use one of the inline splice boxes that dont require you to cut the wire, it simply bites on and can be removed if needed without ruining the wire. i had a similar issue working on my ex's 01 sunfire.
Old December 20th, 2011, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The switch remote or acc wire for the amp should be hooked to the new radio not to the factory wire. The head unit should have a blue wire for remote turn on and or power antenna