Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Internal Tailgate Problems

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2008, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal Tailgate Problems

Hello,

Just today I loaded my beaglesup in my 2005 Colorado CC LS for ahunting trip. When we got to our destination I went to put the tailgate down and nothing......I mean nothing. When I pull up on the tailgate handle it does nothing. It is not catching on anything and basically the handle just goes up and down (but not the tailgate).

Anyhow when I got back home I took the access panel off to see what was going on. I am totally new to the inner workings of a tailgate so bare with me as this is what I saw.....

- When you lift the handle it is not hitting any of the inner workings of the tailgate.
- The plastic "rod" that holds the inner workings in place was broken. This "rod" iswhat the large spring goes over and is what the metal workings go in.
- Manual operation of the inner workings allows me to open and close the gate with no problems

Althoughmost of the stationary parts behind the access door are plastic it appears that the broken plastic "rod" is an individualpart that can be removed from the rest of the other plastic parts.

My question is, does anyone know where I can buy a replacementplastic "rod" and/or an internal tailgate diagram of where everything should be on a 2005 Colorado.