Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Lift kit info gathering

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2019, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift kit info gathering

I'm looking for a new pickup to use on the farm and countrside and narrowed it down to the 2018/2019 Colorado ZR2 Duramax.

It will be used to cross cattle pastures for checking and late season food supplement feeding. As well as living on a minimum maintenance country road this truck will see anything from snow drifts over 2 feet tall to ditches and mud holes only our tractors could previously cross.

Given these conditions the ZR2 seems the best choice due to the locking differentials front and rear and a midsize pickup to maintain a degree of nimbleness. And before I go further into this and people tell me to just get a large pickup to do what I want I'll inform you we have a 3500 gmc Duramax with Allison and a Ford F150 Ecoboost, in addition to other 1ton+ trucks. None of which can do what we want due to either size or weight.

I want to lift the Colorado a significant amount so I can fit a minimum of 35" tires and through a fair bit ofsearching I've come to settle on a 6" suspension lift from Rough Country found here:
https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-241c.html
Then a 2" body lift on top of it to allow more wheel well clearance to max out the tires I can fit.

Ground clearance is extremely important in my build for this to give the best chance of making our rounds without getting buried or caught on the rock ledges.

Any input or oversight on better designs or higher quality parts that optimize clearance more than the Rough Country are quite welcome. Last thing I want to do is get halfway through building and find out there are better parts.
Old October 28th, 2021, 10:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not going to go over good with you folks and even still myself, but my dad who learned the collision trade in the Army, he saw me want a bigger tire size when I was younger and hammered me with his advice, he said "Hey why are wanting these big tires for ?, he continued Have you all seen all US Jeeps in the Army? Have you seen the tires size we use, They are very thin and SMALL but with huge *****, Do you know why that was ? He continued.... We rarely got stuck because big wide tires have MORE mud or snow to PUSH". He was right, I believe , But i got my own big meats like I wanted as I never listened to him anyway.....Regards

Last edited by Oldirongut; October 28th, 2021 at 11:02 PM.