Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

Rear drums / Rear Axle Noise

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2016, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear drums / Rear Axle Noise

I have a 2012 Colorado Crew Cab LT 3.7L and for a while now have heard a noise from the back when i made sharp turns and turns on uneven pavement. Last week i replaced the brake shoes,drums and hardware kit.After that for about a day or two the noise in the rear went away, then came back.I readjusted the shoes so the drums would fit as tight to the shoes as i could get them,and once again the noise went away then came back.In my last post i asked how much play the rear axles should have (side to side) but got no answer. While the truck is parked i can push on the side of the box and the drums bang as the truck shakes side to side. I replaced the c-clips a few months ago and the old ones looked fine.This truck has not always made this noise and worse I'm not sure why it is doing it now,if something is wearing out and if this is a safety issue.
Old September 24th, 2016, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't think anyone could help me on this,but i hoped that a GM customer service person could or would help me out.
Old September 24th, 2016, 8:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If your saying the axle is moving within the housing this is a ball bearing, you should'nt have more than a couple thousands of an icnh play.
Old September 25th, 2016, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your reply,
What i am saying is with the car jacked up and tires and drums off,I can grab the axle and push and pull it in and out.I have checked the play with a dial indicator and it's around .022.Put the drums and tires back on and i can do the same.With the tires on the ground,I can push on the side of the box and shake it side to side and it makes the drums move and drums bang.
I did contact different dealers and was told they do not have the information for axle play.I have also been told that the newer trucks have a lot of play in the axle.

Thanks Rick
Old September 28th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello rscentral,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a noise concern with your Colorado Crew Cab. I understand you're taking a do-it-yourself approach, however, if you would like to have this checked out by your local GM dealership please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, the mileage of your vehicle, and your preferred dealership. We are happy to assist.

Best,

Netty J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by rscentral
I have a 2012 Colorado Crew Cab LT 3.7L and for a while now have heard a noise from the back when i made sharp turns and turns on uneven pavement. Last week i replaced the brake shoes,drums and hardware kit.After that for about a day or two the noise in the rear went away, then came back.I readjusted the shoes so the drums would fit as tight to the shoes as i could get them,and once again the noise went away then came back.In my last post i asked how much play the rear axles should have (side to side) but got no answer. While the truck is parked i can push on the side of the box and the drums bang as the truck shakes side to side. I replaced the c-clips a few months ago and the old ones looked fine.This truck has not always made this noise and worse I'm not sure why it is doing it now,if something is wearing out and if this is a safety issue.