Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

What engines are available with the Colo.?

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2012, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engines are available with the Colo.?

I thought only the I -4 and the I - 5 in line engines were available. I went on the Chev.com/Colorado site and it looks like the 5.3 L V8 is also available. If I read it correctly, it is a 5.3L without the AFM /flex fuel option you automatically get with the Tahoe/Silverado's with 5.3L. I know a lot of people who have heard terrible things about the AFM/fuel optioned vehicles. I don't want to buy a new truck and spend 3 years or 36 k miles battling with GM and it's lawyers, excuse me, attorneys. Battles on what constitues an excessive oil burning V8 engine. When I spend exorbitant amounts of money, you don't want to define oil burning and what do you mean by a leaking intake manifold? Our GM V8's and intake manifold's don't leak...until the 36,001 mile is reached.
I am saying a 5.3 L V8 without the AFM is a big plus to me. Is that an option in the Colorado?
Old July 28th, 2012, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default 3.7 and 5.3L V8

I am familiar with the 5.3 but not the 3.7L. Is the 3.7 an I 6 or a V6? The 5.3L V8 : is it equipped with AFM and the flex fuel?
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

I have owned 2, 5.3's as well as ls1's 2's and 3's they all suck oil out of the engine into the intake system, due to the way the pcv system is designed it picks up oil mist and deposits it behind the throttle plate.

This will only effect you more if you are very hard on your car or truck, it will suck as much as 1 quart of oil per 3K mile oil change, if you let your oil go longer than 3K consumption will increase.

Some people see this oil as a problem, I see it as upper valve lubrication which was lost with the use of no lead fuel back in the 70's.

If you think getting 10 to 13 mpg is for you the 4.8 and 5.3 v8's might be what you are looking for.

I have no need for fast, or power enough to pull over a house or uproot a tree, I would rather see 20+ mpg in a truck than how fast or how much payload I can carry.

But maybe I'm just getting old............