Computer, Ignition, & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, ignition system, fuel system and delivery, customization and more.

bad gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad gas mileage

Hello. I am new here. I have been having trouble with very bad gas mileage. I took my 97 chevy into the dealership and paid 100.00 dollars to get it checked and they told me that I needed new catylic converters. I get about 6 miles to the gallon. First I changed the o2 sensors and about two hours after I put them on the truck lost all power. I had to barely push the gas and it would go. I forgot how much power it actually had. Then all of a sudden it lost all power again and I could tell that the o2 sensors had went out again. People tell me that it could be a variety of things so should I trust the diagnostic test and put new converters or should I try more minor things first . All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2008, 7:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bad gas mileage

I have found 2 things to cause converters to clog with carbon (go bad)
Faulty or worn out 02 sensors can be one thing , but also check your coolant sensor.
If this part fails or is weak it will tell the computer the engine is cold then the computer will add fuel.
Check it out.