Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2012 Chevy Cruze

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2014, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Chevy Cruze

I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze that has 67K miles on it. Up until this year I had not experienced any issues and kept the maintenance up to date. During the late spring and summer, I noticed a cooliant smell coming thru the air/heat vents when it was operating. Then out of the blue my cooliant levels began dropping dramatically and I had to have the water pump replaced. Since that time (around June) the car had been running well as usual and the cooliant has maintained normal levels.

However, this week my car has started to give me more trouble. On Monday, as I was driving to take my sons to school, the car just started flashing error alerts on the dashboard "Service Stabilitrak" and "Engine Power Low". The check engine light and traction lights came on and the car lost considerable power. Thankfully with no other cars behind me, I was able to coast it to the side of the road and after about 2 minutes got the car to start up and run normal. The check engine light would stay on for another 10 minutes, but eventually went away. I have a long commute to and from work so I took the chance and drove it the rest of the day and had no issues. My wife would drive it the next day and not experience any issues either. At this point, I wanted to write the alert off as just a dumb luck issue and think it wouldn't happen again. However, the very next morning when starting the car for my morning commute, the error reappeared and this time would not clear for at least 30 minutes. I took the car into dealership and service department and explained the issue. After 24 hours the car finally gave them the error alert and they came to fine out that the throttle body is malfunctioning and needs replaced. However, because my bumper to bumper has expired, this work is going to set me back $450. Personally I think this is major BS. Just looking through this site and a simple Google search will reveal that the Cruze has had throttle body issues from the 2011 model thru the 2014 model. Why there is no recall and why the power train warranty doesn't cover this is a complete disaster. You have many Cruze owners out there that will experience this and the problem I am having of needing to fork over money to fix it. I refuse to pay for a problem that in my opinion should be covered as part of the power train system or at least under a recall with so many other owners experiencing the same problem. Needless to say, this will be MY LAST GM purchase. Over the last 10 years, the three different cars I have owned by GM have all had issues. I am tired of subpar quality and will be looking for another car under another manufacturer. You would think GM would be better at customer service with their recent PR issues and recalls. Especially customers in good standing and taking care of their car.