Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2012 Cruze - Fan Always Running / Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2015, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2012 Cruze - Fan Always Running / Engine Light On

I've seen hundreds of posts on this. My fan is always running and the engine light is on. I've called the dealership, but they won't look at it without charging me first. It pretty disappointing when it's clearly a widely known issue with these vehicles. Other than this, it's been a great car. I just wish the customer service was better. The dealership was actually pretty rude about it, and just had a "like it or leave it" attitude about the concern. The car isn't overheating, so I feel safe assuming it's the just sensor that's triggering the fan to run. Wish Chevy would just recall it and save everyone a headache.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Recalling costs the manufacturer a lot of money. Take it to Autozone or Advance Auto and they will read the code for you for free.
Old July 24th, 2015, 9:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Samanthageorge27
I've seen hundreds of posts on this. My fan is always running and the engine light is on. I've called the dealership, but they won't look at it without charging me first. It pretty disappointing when it's clearly a widely known issue with these vehicles. Other than this, it's been a great car. I just wish the customer service was better. The dealership was actually pretty rude about it, and just had a "like it or leave it" attitude about the concern. The car isn't overheating, so I feel safe assuming it's the just sensor that's triggering the fan to run. Wish Chevy would just recall it and save everyone a headache.
Hi Samanthageorge27,

We truly apologize for the frustrating issue with your Cruze. We would be more than happy to look into this further for you and assist in the best way possible.

Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 24th, 2015, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Cruze - Fan running /Engine Light on

Is this a known and common issue with the 2012 Cruze? I have the same problem and it is indeed frustrating. Can't Chevy do something about this? So many people keep complaining. I have seen posts that say the Coolant sensor needs to replaced.

As you know most place will insist on running a diagnostic first before touching it and that is money out of one's pocket before anything is done.

I bought my car in 2011 and this was my first Cruze - don't think I will ever go Chevy again.
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by danielconlon
Is this a known and common issue with the 2012 Cruze? I have the same problem and it is indeed frustrating. Can't Chevy do something about this? So many people keep complaining. I have seen posts that say the Coolant sensor needs to replaced.

As you know most place will insist on running a diagnostic first before touching it and that is money out of one's pocket before anything is done.

I bought my car in 2011 and this was my first Cruze - don't think I will ever go Chevy again.
Hi Daniel,

I understand how frustrating this may seem, and we truly apologize for this recent concern. We would be happy to look into this further, and get in touch with the dealership on your behalf. The dealership relies heavily on their diagnosis to determine their repair plan, and I understand how out of pocket expenses can be frustrating. However, I would be happy to discuss all available options with the dealership on your behalf.

Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 15th, 2015, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

There is another thread on here with 177 replies so this is a common problem and the powertrain warranty should cover the diagnostics and repair since most times it is a thermostat problem.
Old October 27th, 2015, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same issue 2012 Cruze engine fan run all the time, engine is not over heating.

Dealer would not even look at it, gave me a appointment 2 week out.

Same frustration.