Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2012 Cruze problems

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2014, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2012 Cruze problems

I have noticed a lot of people having the same issue with the Cruze. I feel posting my problem is redundant, but necessary, as the majority that have posted have had favorable outcomes. so here is my story: I bought my 2012 Cruze new. Shortly after there was recall. Now I have deal with another annoying problem that you would never imagine a new, and a well maintained car would have. The first time it happened the engine light came on and the fan started to run constantly. I took it to AutoZone and got the same code everyone else got. Within a day the problem went away. The next week the same thing. This passed week my engine light came on, and the fan started to run constantly, except this time the fan is so loud its embarrassing driving down the road. The car never over heats, its actually right where it should be. I planned on taking my car to the Chevrolet Dealership, but they want to charge me $75 to run diagnostics, and claim they are unaware of this problem. Which I am finding it difficult to believe as it wasn't hard for me to Google this and find hundreds, upon hundreds of Cruze owners with the same problem. Friday I emailed customer service directly without posting on this forum. The response I got from this customer service representative was that he/she is unable to diagnosis any vehicle since he/she is not an expert, (which I am not either, but look at your customer complaints on this forum alone and then infer). Customer Service has generously offered to contact the dealership on my behalf. (how sweet) But they informed me that I have to pay the diagnostic fee as I am over 40 000 miles and out of my bumper to bumper warranty. This whole problem has rubbed me the wrong way. You would think that Chevrolet would realize the extent of this problem and would do right by their customers. I bought a new car just so that I could avoid costly repairs, and the inconvenience of having a car in the shop, and yet here I am ... having to pay diagnostic fees, which I can't afford and then repairing a new car. I am very disappointed in Chevy, I owe too much on this Cruze or I would trade it in for another car (anything but chevy) in a heart beat. I will keep anyone interested on what happens.
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi amandacrosby,

We recognize this has been a difficult situation and regret to learn of your disappointment. Please let us know how your case progresses. We're more than happy to contact your agent and request they explore further options on your behalf. If interested, please private message us your VIN and contact information.

Thank you
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 10th, 2021, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Wondering if anyone can help. I have dropped 6000 dollars into my Cruze and it’s still broken. Right now it’s throwing codes p0171 and p0325 and I have replaced every part I can think of to fix it. Any ideas on what it is?
Old July 11th, 2021, 6:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybeyers
Wondering if anyone can help. I have dropped 6000 dollars into my Cruze and it’s still broken. Right now it’s throwing codes p0171 and p0325 and I have replaced every part I can think of to fix it. Any ideas on what it is?

What Are The Symptoms Of P0171?

• Check Engine Light is on
  • Lack of power from the engine
  • Rough idle
  • Engine coughing
  • Engine misfiring

What Is The Cause Of P0171?

• Dirty or faulty mass airflow sensor
  • Vacuum leaks – PCV hoses, vacuum hoses, intake manifold gasket.
  • Weak fuel pump
  • Clogged or dirty fuel injectors
  • Clogged fuel filter
  • Exhaust leak
  • Faulty oxygen sensor
  • Faulty air-fuel ratio sensor

Symptoms of Code P0325

• Check Engine Light
  • Loss of engine power
  • No noticeable drivability issues

Causes of Code p0325

• Faulty sensor 1 Bank 1 knock sensor
  • Engine is running excessively lean
  • Faulty or damaged knock sensor wiring
  • Engine coolant system fault
You motor seems to be running lean. That is what you need to find out why that is so.
Old May 25th, 2022, 3:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by amandacrosby888
I have noticed a lot of people having the same issue with the Cruze. I feel posting my problem is redundant, but necessary, as the majority that have posted have had favorable outcomes. so here is my story: I bought my 2012 Cruze new. Shortly after there was recall. Now I have deal with another annoying problem that you would never imagine a new, and a well maintained car would have. The first time it happened the engine light came on and the fan started to run constantly. I took it to AutoZone and got the same code everyone else got. Within a day the problem went away. The next week the same thing. This passed week my engine light came on, and the fan started to run constantly, except this time the fan is so loud its embarrassing driving down the road. The car never over heats, its actually right where it should be. I planned on taking my car to the Chevrolet Dealership, but they want to charge me $75 to run diagnostics, and claim they are unaware of this problem. Which I am finding it difficult to believe as it wasn't hard for me to Google this and find hundreds, upon hundreds of Cruze owners with the same problem. Friday I emailed customer service directly without posting on this forum. The response I got from this customer service representative was that he/she is unable to diagnosis any vehicle since he/she is not an expert, (which I am not either, but look at your customer complaints on this forum alone and then infer). Customer Service has generously offered to contact the dealership on my behalf. (how sweet) But they informed me that I have to pay the diagnostic fee as I am over 40 000 miles and out of my bumper to bumper warranty. This whole problem has rubbed me the wrong way. You would think that Chevrolet would realize the extent of this problem and would do right by their customers. I bought a new car just so that I could avoid costly repairs, and the inconvenience of having a car in the shop, and yet here I am ... having to pay diagnostic fees, which I can't afford and then repairing a new car. I am very disappointed in Chevy, I owe too much on this Cruze or I would trade it in for another car (anything but chevy) in a heart beat. I will keep anyone interested on what happens.