Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2015 Cruze, engine power reduced!?

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2020, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2015 Cruze, engine power reduced!?

I just turned over 90k miles on my 15 cruze. Lately ive been getting the "engine power reduced" message. Its new to me as this is my first chevy. I tried googling to see what this is about and found a few things but nothing concrete. So far it just happens when i start the car, and stays stuck in first gear. I dread think what would have if im going highway speeds and this happens. Car is no longer under warranty and i cant afford to throw money at things that may or may not be the actually problem. I wanted to buy American and so far have been underwhelmed. From what ive seen theres no recall or even courtesy notice saying hey there could be big problems bring it in and get it fixed. Sadly if this the way it goes with GM products i will have look into honda or toyota as i have had good luck with them in the past.

Any viable fix to this issue?

BTW - I find it ironic a car named Cruze, the basic model doesnt have cruise control.
Old February 29th, 2020, 8:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by NathanDetroit
I just turned over 90k miles on my 15 cruze. Lately ive been getting the "engine power reduced" message. Its new to me as this is my first chevy. I tried googling to see what this is about and found a few things but nothing concrete. So far it just happens when i start the car, and stays stuck in first gear. I dread think what would have if im going highway speeds and this happens. Car is no longer under warranty and i cant afford to throw money at things that may or may not be the actually problem. I wanted to buy American and so far have been underwhelmed. From what ive seen theres no recall or even courtesy notice saying hey there could be big problems bring it in and get it fixed. Sadly if this the way it goes with GM products i will have look into honda or toyota as i have had good luck with them in the past.

Any viable fix to this issue?

BTW - I find it ironic a car named Cruze, the basic model doesnt have cruise control.
Probably a bad TPS. Got any OBDII codes?
Old March 9th, 2020, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Right now it seems only to happen after I gas up. Nay got no codes
Old March 11th, 2020, 7:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by NathanDetroit
Right now it seems only to happen after I gas up. Nay got no codes

I am guessing you have the 1.5-liter turbocharged motor here. My 2015 Chevy Malibu, made in the USA and has the non-turbocharged 2.5 liter motor and has been a great car. The issues with the Cruze are well-known, as it's made in Mexico, not America for the most part.It may say Lordstown, Ohio, but almost all were not built there. Quality control on every car and part made outside the US or Canada is suspect at this point in time, not simply General Motors. If the VIN starts with 1 it was supposed to be manufactured here at Lordstown, OH.

If it begins with 3 it was made in Mexico. My 2015 Malibu was manufactured at the GM Fairfax/Kansas City,KS plant. No car ever made was perfect, but I love my 2015 Bu'. 196 HP backed-up with a six-speed transmission that works like a charm. On specs, it will do 25 MPG city and 36 MPG highway on the specifications for that year and model with the 2.5-liter mill.

It does MUCH better than the stated HWY miles per gallon, even when I added a full spare tire in the trunk, which it does not come with stock. I also have a hydraulic jack, a four-way lug nut wrench, a 12-volt tire pressure air-motor in the trunk, all non-stock, adding more weight then EPA test MPG's. Still, at 65-70 MPH, she will do 40-44 MPG. At 55 MPH she will do close to 47-50 MPG and still do 24-25 MPG in the city driving. Best of all, when you punch it, it moves out fast.

The Chevy Cruze was designed to replace the Chevy Cavalier which GM made for 23 years, but the Cruze failed. It has since been phased out of production for 2020 with only the Malibu as a Chevy Sedan, as the Impala has also been discontinued, as was the Volt.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; March 11th, 2020 at 7:40 AM.
Old March 28th, 2020, 5:11 AM
CF Beginner

2017 Premier

Driving hasn't been affected as far as I can tell but I haven't been on the interstate in a few days and I'm a bit nervous to try.

Edit: brought it to the dealership. Apparently some sort of oil pressure sensor is stuck. I don't have the code with me. They gave me a loaner car and are gonna work on it tomorrow.

They gave me a 2019 RS as a loaner so it's been interesting giving that a try. A couple differences I've noticed is that the steering seems more stiff. It takes more effort to turn the wheel for some reason. And I can't figure out how to make the digital mph display turn on. Radios are a bit different. I like that the temperature control actually tells you the temperature you're setting it to.