Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

2018 Cruze automatic - Shifter got stuck

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2019, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Cruze automatic - Shifter got stuck

Okay, I know got isn't a word. But we all know what got means.

My Cruze has 5,000 miles.
*One evening arriving home I shifted to park but there was more than normal resistance in the shift handle/lever. The computer console AND the R N D L letters next to the shifter said it was still in neutral. So I tried to shift to neutral but the lever was stuck in P (park) and would not budge. I turned the car off, and all the lights and buzzers kept saying to shift to park.
*I started the car and tried to shift, still nothing. Turned car off to go inside and research on the computer. I found no one with my year Cruze having this problem, and I was not able to find a fix that I could personally perform without opening parts of the car and possibly voiding warranty. (I did find slightly different problems with an equinox and some older cruzes)
*I knew I didn't want my battery to die from the lights/buzzers going off all night long. So I accessed the battery and disconnected it. (WARNING: If you are ever in need of this operation you will then need to open your car door with the metal key inside of your key FOB - there is plenty of information available on this)

Next step:
*The next day I arranged for a tow truck to get my Cruze to a Chevrolet Dealer near me. The tow truck driver asked to pop the hood. He began playing with the shift linkage/cable located near the engine. He was able to use his fingers to move the piece and get the transmission to shift. But somehow the shifter and linkage were not operating in a normal manner. There was still some sort of blockage.

Towed vehicle to dealer.
*Service advisor gets in to see the problem and.... POOF it's gone. No problem whatsoever. Although the shift linkage under the hood was much, much louder than normal and I was not happy about that either.
*When they called me the next day after having time to inspect and test drive the vehicle, they claimed there was nothing wrong and they were ready to release the vehicle to me. I pick up my car tomorrow. They wanted to keep it overnight to try to duplicate the problem again. I asked them to double-check the amount of noise the part is making under the hood. Surely that should be enough to have warranty work performed, but as of today they were ready to get it off their lot.

If I get more information about the problems I was having I will add on to this post/thread.

I mainly posted this in case anyone in the future is having this problem. You can see I wasn't able to learn much about it so far.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 8:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after posting this it says this is not where to post for specific models. Great.
And can't find how to delete.