Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Can someone explain to me how the Cruze still advertises better MPG than Corolla

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2011, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain to me how the Cruze still advertises better MPG than Corolla

Last year I traded my 2009 Toyota Corolla LE Auto for a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LS auto, I made my decision based on MPG which the Cruze claimed to offer more. I am now thinking I made a mistake in believing the EPA estimates.

EPA estimates for the Corolla were low compared to what I was actually getting.
EPA estimates for the Cruze are higher compared to what I am actually getting

My job location has not changed, driving habits have not changed, the amount of miles driven have not changed, the only variable that has changed are the gas prices which is only about $0.40-$0.50 different than last year.

Last year in October I have spent $128.00 on gas driving the Corolla
This year in October I have spent $250.00 on gas driving the Cruze
Last year in November I have spent $136.00 on gas driving the Corolla
This year in November I have spent $283.00 on gas driving the Cruze

There is a huge difference in MPG between the Cruze LS and the Corolla, I am shocked how much difference there is yet the EPA and Chevrolet claim the Cruze gets better gas mileage and that's what sold me the car. Since I got the car Chevrolete has changed their MPG on their site twice. Wouldn't this be considered false advertisement?

And here is what really threw me off, at first the Cruze claimed to have 28mpg street, now they say its 22mpg street which seams about right as this is what I am currently averaging, the only thing is I only drive about a quarter mile before entering on to the freeway. What I really don't get is that the EPA also gave the Corolla 22mpg street lol seriously? Numbers don't lie, something is really fishy here.

I am considering taking this to small claims court to terminate my lease due to false advertisement and failure to meet the lease agreement.
Old January 20th, 2012, 5:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the epa estimates are just estimates and are just used as tools to buy a new car, they are supplied by the EPA, not by the manufacturer the manufacturer, also by the dollar estimates, factoring in the change of price at $.50 a gallon difference @$4 a gallon (or less in which case my estimates will be higher) is about 70 gallons by your dollar figure at $4 a gallon (i havent used a calculator so i know im off a bit, but im close) 70x.5 is 35 which is $2 off your november difference, and remember if gas is cheaper (which im sure it is) then my doller diference based on price fluctuation is greater, there is no way to sue GM for the EPA's incorrect numbers, and on top of all this i hope you know most vehicles require a break in period of about 15k miles before it is at optimum efficiency, my chevy cobalt got crappy milage when it was new, now it gets 35mpg at 70mph and 40mpg at 55mph, speed is also another thing to factor in toothe faster you drive the lower your mpg will be
hope i have helped in understanding, please know im not trying to attack you, i am trying to help, nothing is worse than to feel swindled on something as big as a brand new vehicle
Old January 26th, 2012, 1:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2wd-K5
the epa estimates are just estimates and are just used as tools to buy a new car, they are supplied by the EPA, not by the manufacturer the manufacturer, also by the dollar estimates, factoring in the change of price at $.50 a gallon difference @$4 a gallon (or less in which case my estimates will be higher) is about 70 gallons by your dollar figure at $4 a gallon (i havent used a calculator so i know im off a bit, but im close) 70x.5 is 35 which is $2 off your november difference, and remember if gas is cheaper (which im sure it is) then my doller diference based on price fluctuation is greater, there is no way to sue GM for the EPA's incorrect numbers, and on top of all this i hope you know most vehicles require a break in period of about 15k miles before it is at optimum efficiency, my chevy cobalt got crappy milage when it was new, now it gets 35mpg at 70mph and 40mpg at 55mph, speed is also another thing to factor in toothe faster you drive the lower your mpg will be
hope i have helped in understanding, please know im not trying to attack you, i am trying to help, nothing is worse than to feel swindled on something as big as a brand new vehicle
Thank you for being kind
My car currently has 20,000 miles. I one time got 40mpg on highway 65mph but this was when I first bought it. Now even if I drive 65 I get less 28mpg if lucky. IDK it just does not seam right, maybe something is wrong. I am due for an oil change soon hopefully I can get some answers.
Old January 26th, 2012, 3:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, well milage dropping down, is a concern there could be a problem with the emissions system especially if milage cant be replicated to what it got new. milage should get slightly better over time, not worse, and not that bad, try to get your dealership to hook it up to a scanner, or ask if there have been any upgrades to the sofware
Old February 22nd, 2012, 8:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Did you have the trans update done? Also have 2011 LS-since they did that my rpms have really shot up when shifting-and my mileage is steadily getting worse.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

I had a 2007 Prius and was averaging 42-46mpg. Remember, that's a hybrid. My new 2012 Cruze Eco is averaging 40mpg. I went from a Corolla to a Prius to my current Cruze. I'm happiest with the Cruze so far. Much more fun to drive than either former cars and yet getting comparable gas mileage. And I don't drive like an old grandma either. I can get fairly aggressive at times.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 5:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Darn it- I do drive like an old grandma & still get lousy mileage.What RPMs are others with a LS automatic hitting-and what's normal? Just get the runaround when I ask dealer or GM service rep. 3500-4500 just seems high-and the vrooom the car makes doesn't seem right.( gentle acceleration-through a 40 km/hr. school zone by my house-and shifting 3 times before it hits 40 km/hr.)
Old March 5th, 2012, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

I hate when the advertising doesn't match the experience. However, in my case with the Eco model (manual transmission) I'm getting just shy of 45 mpg (calculated) but I admit that my driving is 80/20 highway/city. But I like the performance of the turbo, and I don't drive like a grandpa even though I am one.
Old March 6th, 2012, 8:25 PM
CF Junior Member

I really wish I'd waited for 2012 model-the 2011's are not well made.Mine has been back in 7 months more than my old Cavalier was in 12 years! Now strong coolant smell.Sad when you don't trust a new car.
Old March 16th, 2012, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Saw this about milage on another forum. Maybe it will help. One thing i DO know is that all Cruzes are NOT created equal.
How to Get Better Fuel Economy

Quick Reply: Can someone explain to me how the Cruze still advertises better MPG than Corolla