Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

Fan runs constantly / check engine light on today

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2014, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fan runs constantly / check engine light on today

Today my check engine light came on. We've had a rough winter here in PA, so I thought the constant running of the fan had been from trying to clear away the frost on my windows. Yesterday on the way home (50 degree weather) I got a message on my dash saying that "the fan was being shut down due to engine overheating." But I didn't have the fan on. It has been running by itself.

The reason I wound up here is because I just had an oil change, hoping that was the reason for the check engine light and fan issues (I was due), but it changed nothing. The fan setting is OFF, yet the fan is still racing and check engine light is still on.

I googled "Chevy Cruze fan running" and was surprised to find how many people this is happening to. Thing is, how do we deal with it?

I have a 8 hour drive trip coming up and don't want to run into trouble.
Old March 20th, 2014, 8:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's related to the fan on the radiator, not the fan/blower motor for the cabin for your defroster.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 10:22 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi pinduca,

I'm sorry to hear of this concern. I would like to take a further look into this for you. Please send a private message referencing your concern if I can be of any assistance. I hope to hear from you soon!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:37 AM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem on my 13 cruze with the fan running all the time, and the check engine light on. I brought it in to the dealer and the AC high side pressure switch was bad. They replaced the switch and everything is fine so far.
Old June 20th, 2014, 5:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Cruze Eco Engine Fan Running High

On my way to work this morning, I noticed that my engine fan run running high--loud enough such that I could hear it in the cabin. After I parked, I left the car idling... but the fan failed to shutdown. I have seen others with the same concern... and my car if out of the warranty period. Has anyone received assistance from GM regarding this issue?
Old June 20th, 2014, 9:14 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sheppardcm
On my way to work this morning, I noticed that my engine fan run running high--loud enough such that I could hear it in the cabin. After I parked, I left the car idling... but the fan failed to shutdown. I have seen others with the same concern... and my car if out of the warranty period. Has anyone received assistance from GM regarding this issue?
Assistance for what? Take it to a repair shop and get it fixed.
Old June 21st, 2014, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

I got lucky, in my case. I was just under warranty.

But even now, two months later, my fan kicks on (and LOUDLY) for seemingly no reason. People look at my car when I'm sitting idle like there's something wrong with me/it.

You'd think, considering how many people this problem affects, Chevy do something about it.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

My 2013 cruze did the same thing. I took it in and it was the high side AC pressure switch. that fixed the problem.
Old June 25th, 2014, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2012, my fan started doing the same thing and my check engine light is on. I have also noticed the car smells like coolant (more so than usual). I checked the coolant level and it was low.
I drive an hour to and from work each day, after the commute, my throat is raspy and sore. I am possitive the coolant is leaking onto the A/C system.
Old June 25th, 2014, 8:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mexbike
I have a 2012, my fan started doing the same thing and my check engine light is on. I have also noticed the car smells like coolant (more so than usual). I checked the coolant level and it was low.
I drive an hour to and from work each day, after the commute, my throat is raspy and sore. I am possitive the coolant is leaking onto the A/C system.
Pressure test the car's cooling system and repair the leak.

Quick Reply: Fan runs constantly / check engine light on today